Help! Canadian Business Programs

keepswimming

Hello-

I am currently in IB2 and applying to business programs in Canada. I have a mid thirty to high thirty predicted (our school doesn't tell us) and I go to a very good international school in Singapore (I am a Canadian citizen). 

My HLs are (psych, econ, lang/lit) and SLs are (bio, math, ab spanish). 

I do 3 different types of service/volunteer work, I am on the business club and also do basketball team. 

The business programs I am interested in are:

UBC, Western, Queens, University of Calgary and University of Ottawa

What are my chances of getting in with what I have now? Also what school should be my top choice. 

UBC has a dual degree program should I apply to that? 

Hey! Judging by what you said it seems like you have a pretty good chance of getting in. Here are a few tips:

• Keep in mind that Canadian universities look at individual subjects and the overall IB score
  • Your extracurricular are good, if you have leadership roles in them that would be excellent
  • Since you are a Canadian citizen, your chances of getting in are higher
  • To improve your chances take more leadership roles

Here are the chances at each university: 

Western - Okay

Queens - Okay

UBC - Good

University of Calgary - Great

University of Ottawa - Great

Keep in mind that the application essays are a large part of your application, business schools don't just look at marks! Make those great and you can get in anywhere you want.

Western and Queens have a very high number of applicants so the chances of getting in are relatively lower. If you want to do a dual degree then you should go to Western or UBC. If you do not want to do a dual degree still go to Western.

Generally speaking, Western and Queens are considered the best business programs in Canada. Western should be your top choice because it also has a good reputation in America, but it also depends on what type of student life you prefer. Visit the websites of these universities to get an idea of which one would be the best fit for you.

This website should help you if you want to know more about what courses are good for business:

http://ibhacks.com/index.php/15-articles/19-ib-courses-to-take-for-business.html

• Like 1