Question regarding Maths Studies

Muhayminkhan1

Hello,

I am currently undergoing the IB Diploma (2nd year) in Bangkok, Thailand. My subjects are:

Business and Management (HL)

English Language and Literature (HL)

Geography (HL)

Ab Initio French

Biology (SL)

Maths Studies

From what i have heard and read, to get into a good business school in Canada you need at least SL Math. It is too late for me to switch to SL Math now. My question is; is it still possible to get into a top 10 business school in Canada with Maths Studies? Will they allow me to do a foundation year in which i take the required math courses?

Thanks to anyone who takes their time to reply :)

Edited by Muhayminkhan1

This advice and story is from a friend who went through a similar situation to you.

It really depends basically. Do some more research in the universities you want to go to and see if they offer as one year/one semester catch up course. Although Maths studies covers a majority of the topics you need for business sometimes the schools are picky. But I reckon as you are taking higher level business it shouldn't be a big of an issue. Remember when doing IB more universities look at the overall mark rather than what subjects were taken.

In my personal opinion it would be a bit too late to change, but if you were getting 7s in studies it could be possible.

• Like 1

Hello,

I am currently undergoing the IB Diploma (2nd year) in Bangkok, Thailand. My subjects are:

Business and Management (HL)

English Language and Literature (HL)

Geography (HL)

Ab Initio French

Biology (SL)

Maths Studies

From what i have heard and read, to get into a good business school in Canada you need at least SL Math. It is too late for me to switch to SL Math now. My question is; is it still possible to get into a top 10 business school in Canada with Maths Studies? Will they allow me to do a foundation year in which i take the required math courses?

Thanks to anyone who takes their time to reply :)

First off, what business schools are you interested in? Because some schools would probably let you take a foundation year while other schools won't. I suggest emailing the admissions people from the business schools you're interested in and see what they have to say.

Good luck! 

• Like 1

@sarahsaurus

Thank you for the reply. I will make sure to keep researching with more universities. I'm happy to hear its not that big an issue as i first thought!

@ShootingStar16

Thank you for the reply.

I am looking at universities in this list: http://www.topmba.com/mba-programs/10-top-business-schools-canada-201415. I am most keen on either University of Toronto or UBC. However, i am keeping my options open so i am still looking at universities that aren't in that list as well. I will email them soon :)

Hmm.. soo for UBC.. it's Sauder.. 

@sarahsaurus

Thank you for the reply. I will make sure to keep researching with more universities. I'm happy to hear its not that big an issue as i first thought!

@ShootingStar16

Thank you for the reply.

I am looking at universities in this list: http://www.topmba.com/mba-programs/10-top-business-schools-canada-201415. I am most keen on either University of Toronto or UBC. However, i am keeping my options open so i am still looking at universities that aren't in that list as well. I will email them soon :)

Umm I checked the UBC website as well as the U of T website and it says Math Studies does not meet the requirement... :P