2016 Chemistry syllabus changes?

EmotionalEwok

http://www.jon.hk/2014/05/ib-chem-2016-topic/

If you don't understand this, simply get the two syllabi and compare them.

That's a very useful find! I was wondering if anyone has a similar website (or pdf) for the changes that occurred for the 2016 Physics Syllabus? I would really like to compare them too. 

Edit: after posting this reply I happened to find this: https://ibphysics2016.wikispaces.com/2016%2C+2009+Comparison. It compares the physics 2016 syllabus to the 2009 one. 

Edited by maturk

Maybe I can offer some insight into this. The new syllabus is far less prescriptive than the old syllabus which had specific assessment statements together with command terms. The new syllabus just has understandings, applications and skills and guidance. The understandings are based on what students need to know and the applications and skills refer to the application of the knowledge. The guidance attempts to offer advice on the depth to cover each topic but it is not that helpful (I include the syllabus information in the video descriptions of my videos and on my website if students are interested). 

This means that even experienced IB teachers are not 100% sure what the IB is going to examine students on. The first round of students to sit the May exam in 2016 will be the first to be examined on the new syllabus content. This group may be at a slight disadvantage to those who sit the exams after this as teachers will know what to expect in future exams. 

Another important point is that some teachers prefer not to 'teach to the test' instead giving students a wider breadth of knowledge in chemistry. For example, I have included a couple of videos (one on buffers and the other on salt hydrolysis) that are no longer included in the core syllabus but are useful to have an understanding of. I have had comments about these videos no longer being on the syllabus and will add notes to the video descriptions so students can skip them if they wish. 

I have attached a comprehensive list of changes to the new syllabus below.

Changes_to_the_guide_and_options_inventory (1).pdf

Edited by Msj Chem
  • Like 1

Maybe I can offer some insight into this. The new syllabus is far less prescriptive than the old syllabus which had specific assessment statements together with command terms. The new syllabus just has understandings, applications and skills and guidance. The understandings are based on what students need to know and the applications and skills refer to the application of the knowledge. The guidance attempts to offer advice on the depth to cover each topic but it is not that helpful (I include the syllabus information in the video descriptions of my videos and on my website if students are interested). 

This means that even experienced IB teachers are not 100% sure what the IB is going to examine students on. The first round of students to sit the May exam in 2016 will be the first to be examined on the new syllabus content. This group may be at a slight disadvantage to those who sit the exams after this as teachers will know what to expect in future exams. 

Another important point is that some teachers prefer not to 'teach to the test' instead giving students a wider breadth of knowledge in chemistry. For example, I have included a couple of videos (one on buffers and the other on salt hydrolysis) that are no longer included in the core syllabus but are useful to have an understanding of. I have had comments about these videos no longer being on the syllabus and will add notes to the video descriptions so students can skip them if they wish. 

I have attached a comprehensive list of changes to the new syllabus below.

That's a shame. I guess I'll have to do everything just in case then. By the way, I watch your videos, they're really good!