Want to major in Mech Engineering: Chem SL?

MarcoED

I am in IB1 and I want to major in Engineering and most probably Mechanical E. I take math and physics HL but I don't take chemistry.

I also take business and economics in sl.

Should I drop business SL and take chemistry instead?

Why?

Is chemistry that hard to study and get a 6 in?

Is it fun or boring and not nice to study?

Thank you for the support !

I personally loved doing Chem, and SL Chem really shouldn't be that much of an issue in terms of concepts that you need to understand. I guess if you can handle the concepts for HL Physics that should be fine. That said, many people say that Chemistry is the hardest of science subjects in IB, most likely due to data analysis questions requiring you to actually apply the knowledge you have gained.

• Like 1

That depends on where you want to study engineering. For example, in the UK Universities might specify a list of essential subjects in their subject requirements, whereas in the USA subject requirements may not be specified as such.

As for subject choices and tastes, I'd say that would be down to you. Have you studied Chemistry pre-IB? How did you find it? Do you think you could cope taking it as SL? Those are all questions you should ask yourself. You could look at the chemistry and business syllabus and decide which you think you would enjoy more and do better at in IB. Of course it would be nice for you to do chemistry as it incorporated in engineering. But at the same time you can take advantage of the fact that IB is not a course in which you have to take certain subjects, you can explore your options and play to your personal strengths to make your time in IB a bit more easily manageable. Provided, of course, you'll still be able to meet the entry requirements at your preferred engineering university. Having said that many IB engineers get into Engineering degrees without studying chemistry in IB, it's likely not an absolute deal breaker.

That depends on where you want to study engineering. For example, in the UK Universities might specify a list of essential subjects in their subject requirements, whereas in the USA subject requirements may not be specified as such.As for subject choices and tastes, I'd say that would be down to you. Have you studied Chemistry pre-IB? How did you find it? Do you think you could cope taking it as SL? Those are all questions you should ask yourself. You could look at the chemistry and business syllabus and decide which you think you would enjoy more and do better at in IB. Of course it would be nice for you to do chemistry as it incorporated in engineering. But at the same time you can take advantage of the fact that IB is not a course in which you have to take certain subjects, you can explore your options and play to your personal strengths to make your time in IB a bit more easily manageable. Provided, of course, you'll still be able to meet the entry requirements at your preferred engineering university. Having said that many IB engineers get into Engineering degrees without studying chemistry in IB, it's likely not an absolute deal breaker.

Unfortunately, I didn't take Pre-IB Chemistry.

I would definetly enjoy business more than chemistry, and I believe business is easier to study and to achieve a 6. However, I don't want to get stuck when I finish IB and not be able to get into a prestigious uni in the U.S. (Yes I forgot to mention I want to to study in the U.S.) because I didn't take Chemistry. It's a tough decision, but I have to do it. What do you suggest?

P.S. : Our courses are the same, except that I take french HL, and if I take chem it is going to be SL :D.

I'm going to be honest - I find chemistry really hard as a subject.  I take HL math and still the equations are really difficult.  I considered even switching to Physics.  If I were you I would stick with Businness... It gives you a wider range anyway.  Most universities I have spoken to prefer physics over chemistry. I am hoping to study bioengineering, which I assume is very similar. 

• 9 months later...