When to invest in IB Sciences Study Guides

hersheythebar

So i'm about to begin Grade 11 of high school, in other words my first year of IB. After going through a number of posts about Study Guides, etc. it really left me confused on the topic of: should I be buying these study guides for Chem and Bio now or in my senior year? It is my goal to achieve 6 and 7's however I am unsure of whether these Bio and Chem study guides would serve any purpose or use to me at this time.  :huh:

I am very new to the IB world and if someone could kindly help me out, or link me to a post where something like this is already talked about it would be much appreciated :)

If there are any questions about my current situation I will gladly answer them ASAP! Thanks again

I think it's better to wait until your teachers talk to you about it partly because you'll know what edition to get. For us, we don't need study guides until second year and we just borrow books from the library in IB1, but Idk how your school operates. I suggest asking your teachers about it or even your IB coordinator. 

I was using them more or less right from the start (Physics HL and Chem SL, 1st year HL here). They are extremely useful, both for final revision and for seeing what the IB actually wants you to know. It is crucial, however, to develop a good studying strategy - as relying solely on guides is usually not enough, except for last-minute cramming and memorization. My tactic was to learn from notes/books (though I avoided course companions, too, didn't find them really helpful), but first check what I needed in the guide. 

PS. Best of luck in the IB! :)