English A How can I improve?

Hazama

I just started doing the IB programme and I'm already finding it tough.

In case anyone wants to know, these are the subjects I'm taking:

Biology HL

Chemistry HL

ITGS HL

Math SL

English A SL

Malay B SL

I got a D for English in my IGCSE exams. I'm assuming that a D is a 3/4 in IB grade and I really want a 5/6 when I take the exam. I know it will be difficult but I still want to try. Even if I get one advice, I would really appreciate it.

Extra Information:

I read quite a lot of novels, but my writing technique is still bad. I know I should read more books, articles and news, but to me, thats actually vague, so it doesn't really help me.

I can try provide additional information if it's needed for you to know more about me and how I should improve.

Sounds like writing is what you want to be concentrating on. The good thing is that you know what you need and are ready to do something about it. :v:

So just get down to it. Start writing!

However, ....if you want to improve, you'll need plenty of feedback on that writing and the best person for this is ( yes, you guessed it) ... your teacher. :zomg:  Ask him/her sit down with you every week ( I was going say **every **day**, because this is what it would probably take to make any real difference) and give feedback. She'll also tell you what you need to concentrate on and give you some direction.  

Which English A are you in? Lit or Lang& Lit.? 

Edited by Blackcurrant

I just started doing the IB programme and I'm already finding it tough.

In case anyone wants to know, these are the subjects I'm taking:

Biology HL

Chemistry HL

ITGS HL

Math SL

English A SL

Malay B SL

I got a D for English in my IGCSE exams. I'm assuming that a D is a 3/4 in IB grade and I really want a 5/6 when I take the exam. I know it will be difficult but I still want to try. Even if I get one advice, I would really appreciate it.

Extra Information:

I read quite a lot of novels, but my writing technique is still bad. I know I should read more books, articles and news, but to me, thats actually vague, so it doesn't really help me.

I can try provide additional information if it's needed for you to know more about me and how I should improve.

Hello Hazama,

Firstly, try to find out if your school offers English B SL/HL. If so, take one of those, because it seems to me that you might not be able to cope with English A Literature. English A Literature requires one to closely analyze and comment on a piece of writing, whether it be a prose or poem text. If you want to succeed in this course, you need to know how to do this, because there isn't really any formula that could help you. You should also read books that the IB finds acceptable and find out what the central meaning is. In the IB exams, depending on whether you take SL or HL, there will be some guide questions that will help you in trying to find out the central meaning of the poem. If you can do that, then you should take English A Literature. If not, then do English B. 

English A Language and Literature is a little less tedious, so you should try and do that if the school offers it.  

cheers,

- theswizzlerbruh

Edited by theswizzlerbruh

As blackcurrant said I think the best way to get better is through practice and then getting your teacher to read over and give you feedback on your work. Try to write  practice essays regularly  and look at past papers try the questions in them. 

Good Luck :))

Don't listen to theswizler. You need an A Language to receive the IB Diploma, and it seems as though you are proficient in English, so it shouldn't even matter for you to take "English ab initio" cause you aren't a novice in the language. However, you can improve your writing by practicing; start analyzing pieces of texts and articles. After a while you will start noticing the techniques and syntax used in different types of texts, then move on to explaining them. Have your teacher grade your commentaries and receive feedback. This is crucial information for you to improve: feedback.

I was also in the same position as yourself. I got a D in IGCSE English Literature, but now I'm predicted a 6 in IB English Language and Literature SL. I know I'm weak in Literature (Reason why I took Lang-Lit), so don't lose confidence as there is always time to improve.