Physics and Maths HL

Habash

Hello!

I'd like to share a plight with you.

I was originally supposed to be go to Math HL, but, after I applied, it turned out our school cancelled the course due to lack of participating students.

Now I had no choice in the matter, and certainly did not wish to transfer to Biology. I've been sending emails to some colleges in the U.K about the requirements for Math HL for entering Chemical or Mechanical Engineering or, to a lesser extent at least, Physics and Astronomy, and so far the replies, although small, have been devastating. Apparently, Maths HL is a requirement for many colleges.

I still have some colleges who have yet to reply, but I'm losing hope quickly and am looking for contingencies. My subjects are Maths SL, World Religions SL, Arabic A SL, Physics HL, Chemistry HL, and English A HL.

As far as Math SL is concerned, I can easily nab a 7. Though, I'm not sure if I can go into anything relating to Physics without Maths HL. I'm certain SOME colleges would accept me if I manage to pull off a 7 in the externals and have some documentation from my school explaining my situation, however I'm starting to get worried.

I hadn't originally intended to enter Engineering or anything Physics related. However, things changed, and I wanted to know what I can do with the subjects I have in the UK. I know that it differs from University to University, but in general would lack of Maths HL prevent me from practising something related to Physics most of the time? Or is it just for specific colleges? My guidance councillor is of little help and he hasn't responded to my emails lately. So I'd like to know whether or not I should consider pursuing other things to major in or shift towards a university outside the United Kingdom.

Thanks!

Edited by Habash

• 2 months later...

The general reuqirement for most engineering courses in the UK will be Math HL, but it's not that you won't be able to keep up with the course material - from my experience in the first year we only covered 1 or 2 topics, which were covered at math HL, but not SL. And since there are people from all kinds of backgrounds on the course, most topics are covered from scratch.  By requiring math HL universities just want to make sure that your skills and aptitude are right rather than knowledge in given material. 

So when emailing universities you should explain your situation, and always ask what you can do to prove your skills. Also, there is a chance that a university accepts you if they have enough spaces, but an SL will surely put you further down their list.

And one more tip: some universities really suck at responding to emails, so it may be worth trying a few times, or calling them.

• Like 1

Not all universities require you to have Maths HL for engineering however most of them do. Emailing them with your situation for advice on what you can do is a good idea. But I would suggest you take A Level Maths/Further Maths as an extra qualification or convincing your school to let you drop one HL and self teach Math HL (if they can allow it).