Personal Statement Help

stevie

Hello everyone,

I've started to write my PS recently and I decided to check on some free internet plagiarism services if it is not plagiarized. However, I recognized later that these may be not reliable and may even sell my work to other students. So now I'm really afraid of that. I've put a lot of effort into my PS and the fact that decided to check those may ****ing ruin my career. I would like to hear your opinion on that..

Last year I took a course in philosophy and we had to write four essays, each of them would be checked for plagiarism by our teacher, he said he used Turnitin but I cannot confirm it. I checked all four of my essays for plagiarism using different online plagiarism checkers and some of them clearly worked better than others. The teacher said over 10% correlation was considered plagiarism and all my essays passed that. I guess universities do not bother checking every PS they receive for plagiarism, if they have any doubts they might as the applicant to further explain what he or she has written in their PS during the interview.

So I think you will be fine, don't worry :)

Last year I took a course in philosophy and we had to write four essays, each of them would be checked for plagiarism by our teacher, he said he used Turnitin but I cannot confirm it. I checked all four of my essays for plagiarism using different online plagiarism checkers and some of them clearly worked better than others. The teacher said over 10% correlation was considered plagiarism and all my essays passed that. I guess universities do not bother checking every PS they receive for plagiarism, if they have any doubts they might as the applicant to further explain what he or she has written in their PS during the interview.

So I think you will be fine, don't worry :)

But did anyone from your course get caught with plagiarism? :) Is your course somehow international or something similar because maybe the possible cheaters couldn't use your essay anywhere, especially if there was a small amount of time remaining?

Well, at the UCAS website it's written that they check every statement with their software Copycatch so there's a risk. I think that if my PS is sold to someone and it sends it to the 2016 entry, we would have similar statements. Moreover, if the cheater decides to put my statement on the internet as a sample, it's even worse. 

One more thing is that they might possibly use the parts of my essay that are not significantly personal (introduction and conclusion) and they might use other parts if they would change the exact things, achievements and etc. I wrote about a few books and their specific things, so it's interesting if these ****ing scammers could use them as well. Also, I am probably are going to review my statement in the months ahead and change the statement somehow, so by doing this my statement would be look like more indirectly plagiarized.

Well, I'm just curious and nervous at the same time about this issue. :) 

Edited by stevie

If it's solely your own work, then there's no way you could have plagiarized it. Because there's no plagiarism, there's no need to upload it to a plagiarism checker. And if it's never uploaded to a plagiarism checker, then no one is going to steal your work.

Universities only really check for plagiarism in personal statements if something sounds unusual, such as if something sounds like something a student wouldn't write, or you have something in there that contradicts or doesn't make sense with the rest of your application.

Even if somehow your essay gets stolen, it will be used by someone applying to get into a university once you're already there, so it won't impact you in any way.

Edited by Emmi

If it's solely your own work, then there's no way you could have plagiarized it. Because there's no plagiarism, there's no need to upload it to a plagiarism checker. And if it's never uploaded to a plagiarism checker, then no one is going to steal your work.

Universities only really check for plagiarism in personal statements if something sounds unusual, such as if something sounds like something a student wouldn't write, or you have something in there that contradicts or doesn't make sense with the rest of your application.

Even if somehow your essay gets stolen, it will be used by someone applying to get into a university once you're already there, so it won't impact you in any way.

Yes, now I understand that I made a mistake by putting my text into these plagiarism checkers. :) 

I'm afraid that someone may use it when applying for a 2016 entry, so the works may collude. 

Yes, now I understand that I made a mistake by putting my text into these plagiarism checkers. :) 

I'm afraid that someone may use it when applying for a 2016 entry, so the works may collude.

The chance of this happening is very small. I honestly would not be this worried about it.