What exactly is a bio IA supposed to be like?

oakendurin

Hi!

So I'm a little confused about the whole IA thing. My teacher hasn't really explained it at all yet because we haven't started our IAs. But I'm so impatient that I can't stop thinking about possible topics. We have looked at several IAs in class though, and most of them were experiment-based. And there was only one (the tuberculosis correlation IA) that was a database IA. The thing is, I think it would be more convenient for me to do a database IA, but I'm not exactly sure what's required from them. Could someone please tell me some basic information about what is and isn't a good topic like? Because I just can't figure that out for some reason.

The current topic I have in mind is protein analysis. The way I would go about it is by studying protein structures from databases and seeing how the structure is affected by the protein's function. As a future biochem student, I think this would be quite beneficial for me. But is this a really common and too simple of a topic especially for HL bio? And can something like this even be an IA topic or should it mostly be either experiments or something like the tuberculosis correlation analysis?

Hello, 

I'm not completely aware about how HL biology goes, I did SL biology and now they changed how it was marked. However, I believed that any project (I will call them this way) can be good enough if you study the right things and focus correctly on what really matters. So I believed it should be OK if you do the project that you mention. For example in SL Biology, I did a database project, which basically measured, through the Simpson index, the biodiversity from a nearby "beach", that it's also considered a natural reserved. It was not that complex (skipping the fact I had to count every species there :S), but I achieve a good mark with it. So, I guess everything it's fine, if you know how to explain it and can obtain results. However, don't worry, you can take a common topic and give it a twist trying to change the way you study it or something else. I hope this might have helped a little.

Kind regards,

Brian H Q

Edited by BrianHQ
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...