Studying In Germany Requirements

Fadmad

Good day,

I'm an IB student coming into my second year. My subjects are (HL: Math, Physics, Arabic B) (SL: Business and Management, English A, Chemistry).

My goal is to study in Germany, however I just read the requirements for German universities which list the following requirements: "one of the following social sciences: History, Geography, Economics", " All subjects have to have been studied continuously throughout the Diploma Programme"

In my school, Geography and Economics are unavailable, and I couldn't choose history because my school has a weird setup where I had to choose between chemistry and history. 

My problem here is obvious, I neither have History, Geography, nor Economics in my topic list. I would like to know why Business and Management isn't considered a social science in the German requirements? Also, if I were to switch to Economics with a tutor and drop B&M, I wouldn't have studied the subject continuously over my two years. Any insight on this topic please?

Thank you very much for reading this.

• Like 1

Good day,

I'm an IB student coming into my second year. My subjects are (HL: Math, Physics, Arabic B) (SL: Business and Management, English A, Chemistry).

My goal is to study in Germany, however I just read the requirements for German universities which list the following requirements: "one of the following social sciences: History, Geography, Economics", " All subjects have to have been studied continuously throughout the Diploma Programme"

In my school, Geography and Economics are unavailable, and I couldn't choose history because my school has a weird setup where I had to choose between chemistry and history. 

My problem here is obvious, I neither have History, Geography, nor Economics in my topic list. I would like to know why Business and Management isn't considered a social science in the German requirements? Also, if I were to switch to Economics with a tutor and drop B&M, I wouldn't have studied the subject continuously over my two years. Any insight on this topic please?

You could start off by emailing the universities about your problem so they can give you a better picture on what to do and what not to do

Also, I've heard that you need to be proficient in German (Or at least prove) to study in Germany. So you will have to do something about that as well

Good luck!

• Like 1

Good day,

You could start off by emailing the universities about your problem so they can give you a better picture on what to do and what not to do

Also, I've heard that you need to be proficient in German (Or at least prove) to study in Germany. So you will have to do something about that as well

Good luck!

I thought some German universities teach 100% in english and therefore don't require proficiency in German. Not completely sure on this though :P

I thought some German universities teach 100% in english and therefore don't require proficiency in German. Not completely sure on this though :P

https://www.daad.de/deutschland/nach-deutschland/voraussetzungen/en/6221-german-language/

idk mate, i guess there are always exceptions

http://www.mawista.com/blog/en/most-asked-questions-about-studying-in-germany/

• 1 month later...

Hey there!

I have the exact same problem as you do and I have tried to get in communication with TUM to be clear with the requirements. I told them that my school doesn't provide none of those social science classes in the list and that I have ITGS classes instead. Considering that I will be studying engineering, ITGS seems to be more helpful for my studies than a history or a geography class but it's really hard to understand why German university admissions are that strict.

What TUM replied me is that there is no way for me to use my IB Diploma as a direct entrance certificate to study in any of Germany universities. I digged a little more and while reading the IB Recognition spreadsheet on the website of IB, I realized that universities such as TUHH and Universitat of Heidelberg accept IB Diploma without considering the law which the other universities obey. However, you still have to get a language certificate to get in and study. Good luck, it shouldn't be that hard to get to study where you want to after finishing such a challenging program.

Well, as I am also applying uni in germany, there are three basic requirements.

- one HL science / HL maths

- one higher level language (A/B)

- german level c1 certificate. 

The requirement for languages is incorrect. You do not need a HL language. To quote the requirements:

• two languages at A or B level (one of which at least must be a foreign language studied uninterruptedly as "Language A"1 or "Language B HL" 2), 

Edit: I also believe maths studies is not accepted.

really ? that is not what I was told. Sorry for providing wrong information then :P