Adding a phrase to the reference that gives context to our situation; appropriate or not?

Vvi

A suggestion ran through my mind the other day, and I wanted to see whether or not other people thought it was a good idea.

Our college counselor is collecting predicted grades for my class as I speak, and, as with all other years, none of our teachers will predict anyone a 7. They have openly stated this to our class, saying that they don't want to be responsible for anyone getting a lower grade in the final exams and blaming them.

I think this is completely unfair, because every year tons of people in my school get 7's in at least one subject. And I know that I'm capable of getting one at least, if not more. What can we do to get the predicted grades that we really deserve? 3 teachers have told a classmate that "You are capable of getting a 6, but I will predict you a 5 to be safe". WHAT? Unfair to ruin our chances.So basically, my class is very concerned because we have all applied to top unis like St. Andrews, Edinburgh, etc. that want 6's or 7's. And we're afraid that we will be denied even a conditional offer on the basis of our predicted grades being low.

In the reference for me and my class, we wanted a phrase included that goes something like this "Our school does not predict 7's for any student, based on our principles. However, I believe that [Insert name here] is capable of attaining higher grades than have been predicted for him/her."

Would this be appropriate? On the UCAS site it asks for context in terms of the student's grades and school that they attend. I think that this puts our situation into context, seeing as the school always follows these principles. But our counselor seemed hesitant to add this phrase at all.

[quote name='rodz91' post='24707' date='Sep 19 2008, 07:23 PM']That doesn't sound right at all.

I think an appropriate action would be to direct a mail to the IBO, informing them of the situation.[/quote]
.. which means the situation might be solved, but not before next year.

I believe that's very appropriate, our school always gives a little explanation about predicteds like "We expect X to score within the range of 40-42 points, with a possible score of even 44 points. His subject predicteds are:" Apparently they don't mind it since we've had a call from UCAS asking how our school only has students applying to top universities and how they always manage to get offers :) . (That's because no-one applies for bad unis, they stay in Finland if they don't do well in school) So, I think it would be more than fair that your school would state its policy on predicting grades, I don't see it differing from positive predictions.

Obviously enough, it's ridiculous and shameful that your school does not predict students' grades based on their potential, but rather their potential - 1 point. This will also be a problem should you want to do an enquiry upon results (=remark) at the end of IB2, which you are not allowed to do if you have scored your predicted grades.