Muscles and Respiration

Marion

Hello, 

I'm in HL bio and I'm doing my extended essay on the effect of glucose in the performance in power sports. I know this isn't the EE forum but my questions have to do with bio course content so I figured it would be better here. 

Anyways, from what I have understood, respiration uses O2 and glucose to produce ATP. What I am wondering is does this ATP go to the muscles or stay within the cell? Or do the muscle cells/tissue produce their own ATP? 

I looked into the process of muscle contraction, and it says that in the sarcomere the myosin has ADP, and then binds to ATP, and that is pretty much where the textbook lost me... Did the myosin and the actin make the ATP? If yes how did it do it? And does the ATP production happen during exercise or before, and if before, how is it then stored until it is needed?

Also one more thing, could I say that ATP production is limited by how much ATP we can make? Or do we have enough mitochondria to make a lot of ATP?

Thank you s much for your help in advance!!!

Edited by Marion