Anyone who has read the house of the spirits...

hk213

Well this is the question directly only to those of you who have read the house of the spirits. Well as you know in the novel, the point-of-

view often changes and i'm supposed to write an analysis paragraph on the shift in POV as to their significance. If anyone can give me few

hints or directions, i'll be extremely helpful~

Edited by hk213

I haven't read it but usually POV have a purpose - it limits the narration - thus the reader's knowledge of what's going on - through that person's view/knowledge only. Also with POV you can achieve bias, and put the audience at a distant away from what is happening if the happening doesn't directly involve the POV character.

Think about why a certain passage is written from a certain character's POV - what is the author trying to achieve? is there any limit to the character that would make their narration in any way limited?

ok, this is a sort of spoiler! so BIG warning!

at the end of the book, in the epilogue you learn it's actually Alba who was narrating, with obvious sections of Esteban Trueba... the reason Allende puts them both is because in Estebans character you don't always know if he's telling the truth, for example, he claims he knows Clara has forgiven him, does she really? we can't actually know. it also makes sure there isn't a fully biased opinion, by seeing more than one characters point of view.

hope i helped :) i did my IOP on House of Spirits, lol

One of the reasons Allende includes Esteban's POV is so the readers can see the more human sides of his character. That's all I can remember.. it's been a while since I've read it.

First consider what kind of POVs there are: first POV, third person omniscent, third person limited, etc. And then, what is the effect of that POV? What is revealed to you in one POV that isn't through another, and vice versa? How does that affect your (the reader's) relationship with the characters?

[quote name='bunnieu' post='24683' date='Sep 19 2008, 08:24 PM']One of the reasons Allende includes Esteban's POV is so the readers can see the more human sides of his character. That's all I can remember.. it's been a while since I've read it.[/quote]

Yeah, I agree. It's also written in kind of a 'feminist' voice, so including Esteban's POV (a male voice) gives the reader different viewpoints of the same events.
Hopefully that made sense...