Will my IOC get bad grades?

I'm literally panicking now. I didn't sleep well last night. I panicked over my IOC and didn't state a thesis statement or a conclusion for it and ran out of time because I was mumbling and focused on diction. I'm so scared I'll fail my English because of my IOC. I'm worried maybe I might get a 7 or at most 11 because I didn't say things properly. I studied hard and I wrote a lot of notes, I was just bad at speaking in a formal way. I'm honestly scared to the point I cried the whole night and really thought of probably quitting IB because I don't think I'm gonna pass the other subjects with commentaries. I feel horrible...

English is not my best subject. For my IOC, I also had a bad sleep the night before (some other IB assignment was due). I don't recall that I had a thesis because we were taught to have one for an essay only. I said something to the effect that the poet often writes about his own identity issues, not sure if you count that as a thesis. My teacher asked me repetitively to go over the allusions even I thought I clearly addressed them. I was supposed to use terms such as "allusions" instead of simply stating "references" and not only did I lost marks for language but also in other criteria for failing to recognize the importance of these allusions. 

I took HL (only Group A offered at school), which has a second part of discussing one of two books studied, and I only studied one of them for the exam (but to a great extent). Wasn't the greatest of all choices because turns out I picked out the other book out of a hat.  :unsure: 

Not the best of all my IAs but I did get a 4, 5 boundary mark. 90% of the grade got either a 4 or a 5 and we all prepared to different extent. It appears that you talked straight for the ten minutes you had so it can't be too bad. If you at least had the general idea of what the passage was about i think you won't fail. My teachers said that for most IOC criteria (out of 4 or 5 marks), the difference between 3 and 4 (out of 5) is big and is manageable for most people but the jump between a 4 and a 5 is huge.

For two of my SL subjects I got really low marks in the IA but for both I managed get a mark of two scores (out of 7) higher as my final grade. Out of these four final papers only one of them was a 7 (actually the lowest 7) So it's definitely possible to bounce back.

Because of the way the HL Literature course is structured at my school (no offence to my teachers they are actually quite awesome), we are very well prepared for the final essays but not for either orals. In fact the trend is that for the 4s and 5s students in the orals, most of us get either 6s or 7s on the final papers. Some schools are the opposite.

Well I can't predict if the same can happen for you but take a few days to get this IOC out of your head. If you feel like your work in school declines continuously after a while (say a month) then maybe it is preferable to consider options of leaving IB or just doing part IB. I think you should just leave the IOC behind and continue normally with your school work. It is very possible to still get a great mark despite a bad IA. 

I'm literally panicking now. I didn't sleep well last night. I panicked over my IOC and didn't state a thesis statement or a conclusion for it and ran out of time because I was mumbling and focused on diction. I'm so scared I'll fail my English because of my IOC. I'm worried maybe I might get a 7 or at most 11 because I didn't say things properly. I studied hard and I wrote a lot of notes, I was just bad at speaking in a formal way. I'm honestly scared to the point I cried the whole night and really thought of probably quitting IB because I don't think I'm gonna pass the other subjects with commentaries. I feel horrible...

You know what, I bet your performance in the IOC wasn't as bad as mine. You know what I did? After like 2 minutes into the recordings, I got so nervous that I asked my teacher: "Can... we...restart....the....recording???". And I asked him TWICE. And it was recorded!!! And worse, my teacher didn't allow me to restart. And even worse, my recording sample was chosen to send to the IB moderators!!! So yeah.... I felt like hell when I got back from my IOC. Luckily I wasn't alone, because a classmate of mine bit his lip till it bled during recording because he was so nervous. And another friend of mine cried right in front of the teacher at the recording.

My result for the IOC was 7/15, which was like a 4 according to my teacher. However, as you can see in my signature, I got 7 overall for my English SL. That was like a miracle to me, because I was always hoping to get a 5. So my advice to you is to calm down because I bet you've done much better than you actually think. Besides, the IOC is only 15% of the total grade for English. Don't look back at your performance in the IOC, because life goes on whether you like it or not!!! Good luck with other parts of the English course though :)

Was this your final ???? or just a mock??

It was a final. I usually did well in mocks but I panicked badly in the finals and my teacher looked disappointed so that's why I lost it and posted this post but receiving encouragement from everyone here helped me.

Edited by ThisIsMe98

You know what, I bet your performance in the IOC wasn't as bad as mine. You know what I did? After like 2 minutes into the recordings, I got so nervous that I asked my teacher: "Can... we...restart....the....recording???". And I asked him TWICE. And it was recorded!!! And worse, my teacher didn't allow me to restart. And even worse, my recording sample was chosen to send to the IB moderators!!! So yeah.... I felt like hell when I got back from my IOC. Luckily I wasn't alone, because a classmate of mine bit his lip till it bled during recording because he was so nervous. And another friend of mine cried right in front of the teacher at the recording.

My result for the IOC was 7/15, which was like a 4 according to my teacher. However, as you can see in my signature, I got 7 overall for my English SL. That was like a miracle to me, because I was always hoping to get a 5. So my advice to you is to calm down because I bet you've done much better than you actually think. Besides, the IOC is only 15% of the total grade for English. Don't look back at your performance in the IOC, because life goes on whether you like it or not!!! Good luck with other parts of the English course though :)

Heyy thanks a bunch. I was really sad yesterday after my IOC. I thought I couldn't do anything anymore because everything is gonna be hard. Today I took my finals for year 11 and the written exams were great for me. I realized I was a big idiot for posting this and you reminded me that my IOC only has about 15% for my final grade. Thanks for reminding me that :) I paused for like five seconds when I started the whole IOC thing and said good morning when it was an afternoon and started the usual "Gah, blurh blurh no haha not that" and then I looked at the Mac recording my voice... I panicked haha >< Thank you so so much for helping me and telling me this, I hope miracles happen for me too. I won't fret that easily next time and I won't be doing anymore IOCs in the future so I'm looking forward now ^^

English is not my best subject. For my IOC, I also had a bad sleep the night before (some other IB assignment was due). I don't recall that I had a thesis because we were taught to have one for an essay only. I said something to the effect that the poet often writes about his own identity issues, not sure if you count that as a thesis. My teacher asked me repetitively to go over the allusions even I thought I clearly addressed them. I was supposed to use terms such as "allusions" instead of simply stating "references" and not only did I lost marks for language but also in other criteria for failing to recognize the importance of these allusions.

I took HL (only Group A offered at school), which has a second part of discussing one of two books studied, and I only studied one of them for the exam (but to a great extent). Wasn't the greatest of all choices because turns out I picked out the other book out of a hat. :unsure:

Not the best of all my IAs but I did get a 4, 5 boundary mark. 90% of the grade got either a 4 or a 5 and we all prepared to different extent. It appears that you talked straight for the ten minutes you had so it can't be too bad. If you at least had the general idea of what the passage was about i think you won't fail. My teachers said that for most IOC criteria (out of 4 or 5 marks), the difference between 3 and 4 (out of 5) is big and is manageable for most people but the jump between a 4 and a 5 is huge.

For two of my SL subjects I got really low marks in the IA but for both I managed get a mark of two scores (out of 7) higher as my final grade. Out of these four final papers only one of them was a 7 (actually the lowest 7) So it's definitely possible to bounce back.

Because of the way the HL Literature course is structured at my school (no offence to my teachers they are actually quite awesome), we are very well prepared for the final essays but not for either orals. In fact the trend is that for the 4s and 5s students in the orals, most of us get either 6s or 7s on the final papers. Some schools are the opposite.

Well I can't predict if the same can happen for you but take a few days to get this IOC out of your head. If you feel like your work in school declines continuously after a while (say a month) then maybe it is preferable to consider options of leaving IB or just doing part IB. I think you should just leave the IOC behind and continue normally with your school work. It is very possible to still get a great mark despite a bad IA.

Thank you for telling me all this. Your reply is really thoughtful, I wIsh I could vote you as the best answer too *gives shiny medal*. Sadly my school is full IB and I wished I could just take the sciences for IB since I transferred from a national based private school so the gap is big. I panicked because I never had to do any sort of presentations before and I admit I have that bad habit of aiming high so I felt bad over what I did that day. I did my finals for year 11 today, it wasn't that hard as I thought it would be so I think I can handle the written papers now. Sorry I made a really big fuss about it, I get worried easily. ><