Latin dictionary for the exam

KPK

• 1 month later...

Then it must be different for Latin than the other language B subjects?

Latin vocabulary in higher level courses isn't really as important as understanding the context of your text. Preliminary Latin books at our school (i.e Cambridge Latin Course - the one with Caecilius, and Oxford Latin Course - the one with Quintus) are only useful as providing background grammar notes, but they do focus quite a lot on vocab testing.

EDIT: There's no speaking component, which is why rote memorisation of vocab and phrases isn't as important

Hi,

What is the best Latin dictionary to take to the IB Latin SL exam?

Your past experience is very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Depends on what size you are allowed. Myself and a couple of my friends have various sizes of the Oxford Latin Dictionary - I personally find the medium sized desk version good for home studying as it is very detailed in the context for each word, but for compactness, get the pocket version. I see some Collins dictionaries being advertised, but I've never gotten one. If you can find one, then the Lewis and Short 'A Latin Dictionary' is also a very comprehensive dictionary, but I use the online version on Perseus (A site with translations of Catullus). It provides insight to Latin vocab with regard to thinking from a medieval perspective (as it was originally published in 1879), which can be interpreted as good or bad. Perseus also uses a dictionary called 'Lewis Elementary', which is the same Lewis who worked on the Lewis and Short dictionary, but an earlier individual work.

Hope that helped!

Edited by tim9800