I need your perspective! Please help me for a bit, please!

ThisIsMe98

Hi guys, I really need some of your perspectives to help me out in my tok presentation. I just need that help. I looked for several perspectives through online sources but I hope to get some from other people too, like you guys. Most of my friends are not in the ib program so they are not sure about the tok thing so I really need your help.

My knowledge question is "To what extent does an authority figure mandate shared knowledge from personal knowledge?"

The basic real life situation from me is that I had been switching schools for quite a long of times because I was always moving around so I wanted to talk about how the national education system has been limiting the students to explore different topics because we were separated into three classes like the science, economical and arts class with different set of subjects, it's like a bundle package unlike the ib where you get to choose and major in the subjects that suit you. 

Also there are situations from the nature itself that displays authority figures and control the system. For example, animals that live in packs tend to follow the leader, if the leader makes a wrong choice, the whole pack dies and they get ousted if they did not follow the system.

I wonder how would you guys think about how an authority figure controls the majority of the people and not allow them to explore different things from their personal knowledge? 

From my point of view, it will disrupt the social structure leading to events like war because people would disagree with one another and animals might behave differently causing the food chain to disrupt and so on. 

I really hope that you all could help me out with some perspectives on my tok presentation, I'm going to present it on Monday so I hope you could help me out by just giving your perspectives about authority figures.

Thank you!

So when I read your topic, what automatically came to my mind is authoritarian figures such as Hitler, Stalin and others. I also thought of the novel 1984 by George Orwell, which actually explores this issue (i won't spoil the story in case you want to read it!)

So my personal opinion is that authoritative figures do try to restrict everything, and try to make everything shared, so that individuals never think "outside the box". However, I believe that an authoritative figure can only control knowledge to a certain point. If we speak about personal knowledge in terms of our experiences, then really an authoritative figure cannot control our experiences, unless the figure is able to indoctrinate people and create a purely "robotic" society, in which people do not even think for themselves. Personal knowledge can also be skills or even your personal involvement in certain activities. To summarise, i don't really think that authoritative figures restrict our personal knowledge, it would be practically impossible to control every single person. I believe that authoritative figures actually have no control over our personal knowledge.

I think its important to understand the differences between shared and personal knowledge, so i will attach the IB website in which it explains the difference between personal and shared. Make sure you know this very well as it is very crucial in your presentation.

https://ibpublishing.ibo.org/exist/rest/app/tsm.xql?doc=d_0_tok_gui_1304_1_e∂=2&chapter=1

I strongly recommend you read it. Not only because it explains it all quite detailed, but also because it gives you really good examples to understand and not get confused.

• Like 2

So when I read your topic, what automatically came to my mind is authoritarian figures such as Hitler, Stalin and others. I also thought of the novel 1984 by George Orwell, which actually explores this issue (i won't spoil the story in case you want to read it!)

So my personal opinion is that authoritative figures do try to restrict everything, and try to make everything shared, so that individuals never think "outside the box". However, I believe that an authoritative figure can only control knowledge to a certain point. If we speak about personal knowledge in terms of our experiences, then really an authoritative figure cannot control our experiences, unless the figure is able to indoctrinate people and create a purely "robotic" society, in which people do not even think for themselves. Personal knowledge can also be skills or even your personal involvement in certain activities. To summarise, i don't really think that authoritative figures restrict our personal knowledge, it would be practically impossible to control every single person. I believe that authoritative figures actually have no control over our personal knowledge.

I think its important to understand the differences between shared and personal knowledge, so i will attach the IB website in which it explains the difference between personal and shared. Make sure you know this very well as it is very crucial in your presentation.

https://ibpublishing.ibo.org/exist/rest/app/tsm.xql?doc=d_0_tok_gui_1304_1_e∂=2&chapter=1

I strongly recommend you read it. Not only because it explains it all quite detailed, but also because it gives you really good examples to understand and not get confused.

Wow!!!! Thank you so much!!!!! You really helped me a lot because this is my first time doing a TOK presentation so I needed some opinions to guide me. I'll try to figure out the main differences between shared knowledge and personal knowledge now. Thank you like more than a thousand times!!!!

Edited by ThisIeMe98
  • Like 1

Wow!!!! Thank you so much!!!!! You really helped me a lot because this is my first time doing a TOK presentation so I needed some opinions to guide me. I'll try to figure out the main differences between shared knowledge and personal knowledge now. Thank you like more than a thousand times!!!!

No worries! I remember my first time doing a TOK presentation... it was so difficult! I hope it goes well :)

• Like 1