Further maths or repeat HL

J700

I just finished 1st year of HL Maths in 9th grade with a grade of 4. (I didn't have the prereqs, but HL maths was the most appropriate level class my school offered to 9th graders).  The only realistic option for 10th grade is to finish HL Maths, perhaps getting a 5 this time.  

The question is what should I take for the IB Diploma (11th and 12th grade)?  I could continue keeping my head above water in Further Maths or repeat HL Maths (and probably get a 7 the second time around).  Other than this year's 4 in HL Maths grade, I'm probably on track to be a good candidate for a top 20 U.S. university.  What Diploma Program course grade would universities look at more favorably, a 7 in HL (knowing it was my second time through) or a 5 in Further Maths? Has anyone else taken HL maths a second time?

I just finished 1st year of HL Maths in 9th grade with a grade of 4. (I didn't have the prereqs, but HL maths was the most appropriate level class my school offered to 9th graders).  The only realistic option for 10th grade is to finish HL Maths, perhaps getting a 5 this time.  

The question is what should I take for the IB Diploma (11th and 12th grade)?  I could continue keeping my head above water in Further Maths or repeat HL Maths (and probably get a 7 the second time around).  Other than this year's 4 in HL Maths grade, I'm probably on track to be a good candidate for a top 20 U.S. university.  What Diploma Program course grade would universities look at more favorably, a 7 in HL (knowing it was my second time through) or a 5 in Further Maths? Has anyone else taken HL maths a second time?

The universities won't know about how many times you take the HL course (unless you tell them yourself). All they care about is your final grade that you achieve in your final IB exam (which willl take place at the end of grade 12).

Also, whether you choose to take Further maths or not, you still have to take Math HL (as Further math requires knowledge from HL math). So you only have two choices really:

• Only take HL Math, or
  • Take both HL and further

Since you are still very young & already have done half of HL syllabus (which is quite impressive), I would recommend you to go with your 2nd choice. You should definitely aim for a double 7 in both HL & further!

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply.  You are right that in many countries, universities only look at the final IB exam grade.  In the U.S. however, universities look at transcripts of all coursework from 9th -12th grade.  They will see transcript line items showing a 4 in HL Math in 9th grade and HL Math in 10th grade (probably with a 5).  In general, U.S. universities don't even see 12th grade final IB exam grades because they make admission decisions in the Spring.

In many circumstances, a 4 would be disqualifying at top U.S. schools.  Because I took Math HL at a young age, they may make an exception.  I'm afraid climbing from a 4 to a 7 in HL math (in 10th grade) is not a realistic option.  If I take HL a second time, a 7 is probably achievable in 11th and 12th grades.  

As I'm making the decision based on realistic results rather than aspirational goals, I have to assume I will get a 5 (or maybe a 6) in Further Math in 11th and 12th grades.  I'm just too far behind to get 7s in this accelerated math sequence.  Thus, I return to my initial question:

What Diploma Program course grade would U.S. universities look at more favorably, a 7 in HL (knowing it was my second time through) or a 5 in Further Maths? Has anyone else taken HL maths a second time?