Written Task completely wrong?

Hello,

I did my Written Task 1 on the gaming debate, where I wrote from the perspective of a pro-gaming magazine article writer. I wanted to show a different perspective to the perspective and minorly how communities are created, how language in magazines are used, etc.

For my Written Task 2 I started writing a film review on a movie - pretty much a normal review. There is not a lot one can vary in a film review, but can I just write a normal review on a movie? 

Do my topics fit the parts? I can't tell myself because my teacher didn't say anything but changes her mind whenever she feels like it..

Watch out!

You can write a normal review on a movie -- but only for a WT1!!!

Your WT2 is a formal, analytical essay.

Two very different tasks!  :o

For the WT1 just make sure to link your rationale with the outcomes of your course. Keep in mind that the WT1 is a way to demonstrate your understanding of the genre and also your ability to reproduce the features of this genre in your own writing.

Hope this comes in time for you. Good luck!

Hello,

I did my Written Task 1 on the gaming debate, where I wrote from the perspective of a pro-gaming magazine article writer. I wanted to show a different perspective to the perspective and minorly how communities are created, how language in magazines are used, etc.

For my Written Task 2 I started writing a film review on a movie - pretty much a normal review. There is not a lot one can vary in a film review, but can I just write a normal review on a movie? 

Do my topics fit the parts? I can't tell myself because my teacher didn't say anything but changes her mind whenever she feels like it..

h hum

Watch out!

You can write a normal review on a movie -- but only for a WT1!!!

Your WT2 is a formal, analytical essay.

Two very different tasks!  :o

For the WT1 just make sure to link your rationale with the outcomes of your course. Keep in mind that the WT1 is a way to demonstrate your understanding of the genre and also your ability to reproduce the features of this genre in your own writing.

Hope this comes in time for you. Good luck!

Hello,

h hum

Thanks!

However I think our teacher is mixing our parts together because there is pretty much no analytical essay that we took for WT2. I'm very confused, not sure what to do.

Check out the IB subject guide --- you can trust that it is accurate and correct. You should tell your teacher too, if they don't know what they are doing. 

I'll quote here from page 43 in the 2015 Guide which you can find online easily:

"Formal requirements for task 2

There are two prescribed questions for each of the areas of study listed below [you'll find these in the guide].

Task 2 is a critical response to one of these six questions. 

The prescribed questions are designed to be as open as possible and are intended to highlight broad areas within which students can explore and develop their responses to the texts. The prescribed questions remain the same from session to session. See the section “Task 2— questions” in this guide. The critical response is based on material studied in the course. This material could be a longer work such as a novel or a group of poems. It could also be a shorter text or texts such as a newspaper article or a sports blog. A rationale is not included with task 2. Instead, students are expected to complete an outline. This outline is submitted with the task for external assessment. This outline must be completed in class time and must include: • the prescribed question that has been chosen • the title of the text(s) for analysis • the part of the course to which the task refers • three or four key points that explain the particular focus of the task. Where appropriate, task 2 must reference, in a bibliography, the relevant support documentation such as the newspaper article or magazine advertisement on which it is based. Where a complete shorter text is chosen (for example, a newspaper article or an advertisement from a magazine) students may refer to other texts to support their response. The critical response is in the style of a formal essay and must be clearly structured with an introduction, clearly developed ideas or arguments and a conclusion..."

• Like 1