Biology SL paper 1 and paper 2

ysfcll

For Section B question 7 about the pumping of the blood in the heart etc.  is it wrong to talk about stuff like the pacemaker the SA and AV nodes and how the heartbeat is regulated??

Wasn't it HL? I chose this question as well and I was talking about same things like the action of the heart is myogenic and how the blood flows from the atrium to ventricle through SA and AV

I think the options were something like:

A moth that goes from white to black when living in an industrial zone

Antibiotic resistant bacteria slowly replacing normal bacteria

Finches that change beaks in years of drought

And something else but I can't remember.

I chose B, the antibiotic resistant bacteria. The question was about evidence for evolution.

I picked the antibiotic resistant bacteria... idk if its right though
Well I picked the a moth that goes from white to black and idk I found something in wiki which kinda support it

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peppered_moth_evolution

I chose A too. Thank god I watched a video about it and they talked about that specific example as a support of evolution. I guess there is more than one possible answer though. 

If anyone is interested, the name of the youtube channel is CrashCourse... They post excellent tutoring videos in bio, chem, psych and lit I think. ^_^

I chose B, the antibiotic resistant bacteria. The question was about evidence for evolution.

Yep the answer should be antibiotic resistant bacteria if I didnt miss anything. By looking at the past papers, they asked the same thing with playing the words. The main reason that I picked resistent bacteria againts the option peppered moth is that "resistent bacteria" is specifically mentioned us to know in the assessment statement. 

• Like 1

Well I picked the a moth that goes from white to black and idk I found something in wiki which kinda support it

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peppered_moth_evolution

I chose A too. Thank god I watched a video about it and they talked about that specific example as a support of evolution. I guess there is more than one possible answer though. 

If anyone is interested, the name of the youtube channel is CrashCourse... They post excellent tutoring videos in bio, chem, psych and lit I think. ^_^

You may want to check out this: https://www.apologeticspress.org/apcontent.aspx?category=9&article=572 

But yeah, there might be more than 1 answer for that question..

I chose antibiotic resistance.  (I was 50/50 on the exam... i just picked antibiotics cause i felt better with that.

The reason why I don't think it's the moth is because their wings don't actually change color during or at an industrial place. The black just camouflage more cause of the colors of tree barks etc. So the color changes over time. The moth answer just said something like one moth changing color at an industrial zone. The antibiotic resistance one actually said over time; which is the theory of evolution.

That's my take on it. Hope antibiotic is correct though! 

• Like 1

I just checked my book (Pearson) for this question. It has been stated in Examiner's hint that "Resistance is a change which evolves from generation to generation". So yeah that should be the correct answer I think BUT, question is still weird for me as well. There is nothing we can do besides waiting :) 

I chose antibiotic resistance.  (I was 50/50 on the exam... i just picked antibiotics cause i felt better with that.

The reason why I don't think it's the moth is because their wings don't actually change color during or at an industrial place. The black just camouflage more cause of the colors of tree barks etc. So the color changes over time. The moth answer just said something like one moth changing color at an industrial zone. The antibiotic resistance one actually said over time; which is the theory of evolution.

I am unsure... i chose the moth one because if i remember correctly the antibiotic resistant one said something about the none resistant ones dying and my reasoning was the death was more natural selection which is part of evolution but not directly evolution... merh. 

We shall see :)

I am unsure... i chose the moth one because if i remember correctly the antibiotic resistant one said something about the none resistant ones dying and my reasoning was the death was more natural selection which is part of evolution but not directly evolution... merh. 

We shall see :)

even the Bio Ninja says that both options are correct.

lets wait and hope :D

• Like 1

Did anyone do the meiosis and cloning questions in section B paper 2? Kinda freaked out about that one. 

Also, the image of the flagella and the pilli.. did we have to state the functions too? i have no idea which time zone i did but i think its tz0 or something 

Hi! I think I did that one! It was about meiosis, cloning in human cells and therapeutic cloning right? I thought it was the easiest. Section A was a bit weird though.

Did anyone do the meiosis and cloning questions in section B paper 2? Kinda freaked out about that one. 

Also, the image of the flagella and the pilli.. did we have to state the functions too? i have no idea which time zone i did but i think its tz0 or something 

Hi! I think I did that one! It was about meiosis, cloning in human cells and therapeutic cloning right? I thought it was the easiest. Section A was a bit weird though.

Yes that one!  Same, i thought it was the most doable question. The others were too hard. For the cloning I talked about the Somatic Cell Nucleus transfer.. what did you talk about?

Yep the answer should be antibiotic resistant bacteria if I didnt miss anything. By looking at the past papers, they asked the same thing with playing the words. The main reason that I picked resistent bacteria againts the option peppered moth is that "resistent bacteria" is specifically mentioned us to know in the assessment statement. 

You're right... antibiotic bacteria was given to us as an example for evolution... that & peppered moth tho.. but hopefully the answers are corrrect 

The reason I didnt choose the moth is because of how it was worded. If i remember correctly it said "A moth changing colors....." the "A" kinda threw me off, because a single moth cant evolve that fast.

The finches were kind of the same, it said "during years of drought" and evolutionary changes dont happen in a couple years, what if there were several droughts in one finches lifetime?

The other one i cant remember but im pretty sure it wasnt that one.

The evolution question was complicated and unclear in many ways, in my opinion. If I know the IB well enough, this question was a differentiator and the correct answer down to something pedantic in the wording. (i.e., designed to throw the best of students off.)

When I read the question, I immediately thought of natural selection vs. artificial selection, even though the wording did not mention it per se. 

I know that antibiotic resistant bacteria are due to artificial selection, i.e. by introducing antibiotics humans are directly influencing the hereditary characteristics of future generations. 

Same goes for the peppered moths but more indirectly, the colour of black or white varying almost in direct proportion to industrial activity in the U.K. 

I selected the finches, although this option had its flaws as well. During 'dry periods' or 'dry years' can be interpreted in many ways, is this a drought lasting 1-2 years or two centuries (possible in certain regions). Also, as was mentioned about the peppered moth, the shape and structure of a finch's beak cannot change in one individual simply due to weather.  Also, one must consider the generational length of the species, which was not specified in the question.

However, my reasoning was that the finches were the only ones that adapted to their environment as a result of natural selection, free from human interference. 

Edited by OMGIBISFUN

Yes that one!  Same, i thought it was the most doable question. The others were too hard. For the cloning I talked about the Somatic Cell Nucleus transfer.. what did you talk about?

Oh um I just outlined the embryonic cell switch thing (like dolly the sheep's) and how the nucleus is taken out from a surrogate cell and another fertilized one is added and stimulated to divide. It wasn't too hard. I feel like I wrote more about meiosis than the 8 marker though

Oh um I just outlined the embryonic cell switch thing (like dolly the sheep's) and how the nucleus is taken out from a surrogate cell and another fertilized one is added and stimulated to divide. It wasn't too hard. I feel like I wrote more about meiosis than the 8 marker though

Omg same! I wrote for the meiosis question alot! Yeah i talked about the same thing too with cloning. you probs did just fine

• Like 1

Hi everyone!

I did TZ1 and for Paper 1 there was one question in particular that really stumped me.

It asked something like : "What is the role of protein pumps in active transport" which seems straightforward enough, but the options were really confusing for me.

I think the options were :

a. to move molecules across a concentration gradient

b. to produce ATP

c. to select which molecules pass across a membrane.

d. something about facilitated diffusion which definitely wasn't the right answer

At first I thought it would be a, but the definition of active transport is to move molecules AGAINST a concentration gradient, but everyone i asked said A anyways.

Thoughts?