Does my supervised writing topic have to correlate with my written assignment?

soybean

So I'm writing my supervised writing paper in a few days and my teacher has presented us with a sheet of prompts. I don't really find much interest in any of these prompts and would dread to write about any of them for the Written Assignment. I was just wondering if it's true that the supervised writing I write in a few days will have to be similar to the WA I'll write later on.

Hope that was clear! Thanks :)

Well, technically yes. Your supervised writing isn't submitted (I am pretty sure) to the IB, but it can be monitored (so the IB can request to see it if they wish.) Because of this, your supervised writing has to show some kind of link or development in relation to your written assignment. 

For example, in my supervised writing for "A Doll's House" by Henrik Ibsen, I chose to answer the prompt about characterisation (I think??) but then ended up writing my written assignment about the importance of entrances and exits in developing one of the character's motives etc. 

I agree that the prompts are sometimes really random, but your supervised writing doesn't need to be amazing or formatted, just essentially write as many things as possible in the time limit and cover as many bases related to the prompt as you can - that way when you go to write your written assignment you have left options open for yourself. :)

from what i've been told, if the ib thinks that our idea was plagiarised or not our own, they're going to look at your supervised writing to see if the idea came from yourself or not

That makes sense.. thank you!

Well, technically yes. Your supervised writing isn't submitted (I am pretty sure) to the IB, but it can be monitored (so the IB can request to see it if they wish.) Because of this, your supervised writing has to show some kind of link or development in relation to your written assignment. 

For example, in my supervised writing for "A Doll's House" by Henrik Ibsen, I chose to answer the prompt about characterisation (I think??) but then ended up writing my written assignment about the importance of entrances and exits in developing one of the character's motives etc. 

I agree that the prompts are sometimes really random, but your supervised writing doesn't need to be amazing or formatted, just essentially write as many things as possible in the time limit and cover as many bases related to the prompt as you can - that way when you go to write your written assignment you have left options open for yourself. :)

I think I'll do that, thank you!! Will keep many options open while I write the SW :) Thanks so much!

• Like 1