How Does One Challenge the Question? [Essay Structure]

Schrodinger's CAS

I've been looking around for history essay writing tips, and almost all of them suggest the writer to challenge the question or at least acknowledge any counterarguments. However, when it came to when the question should be challenged, there were many disagreements. Some advises challenging the question in the body paragraphs, while others state that it should be done in the conclusion. 

Which option do you think is better? 

Thanks for the help :)

Well it depends on what exactly you're arguing in my opinion. If its your main argument, then I would suggest you include it throughout your body paragraphs but if you're providing counter arguments to  your main argument, I'd add them near the end (although sometimes for history essays, I'll add them at the end of each paragraph - counter arguments at the end of each argument in the body paragraphs). 

But again it depends on the question and how you phrase your main argument. Some questions are phrased where you HAVE to acknowledge the counter arguments thus you should include those in the bodies. And sometimes its the writer's stance that would encourage them to include counter arguments in the body paragraphs. Other times, if you're strongly focusing on one side of the question (which is not advised because then it seems like you're ignoring the counters), then mention your counters at the end so as to show that you're confident in what you argue. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think you should challenge the question in the main body of your essay where possible. One of the ways you can approach this is to add some historiography into your main body paragraph, then you find evidence to either support it or challenge it. Make sure you find other pieces of evidence to back up your argument.

• Like 1