Economics VS Business management?

Hello! So I want to study physics in Uni. I'm aiming on choosing HL Maths and HL physics. I wanted to do HL Chemistry aswell but realised that the combination of these three subjects on HL will kill me.. So I think I want to do either economics or business management. Which one is "easier"?? Which on is easier to get a 7 in?

I read that some universities considers Business Management to be a "soft" subject.. could it therefore be a disadvantage for me to choose that since it would be considered lazy even though I want to study physics? I want a high overall grade though since i'm aiming to get into one of the top 10 Unis in UK. Thanks

• Like 1

Hi,

If you're aiming to study physics at Uni, the admissions team won't care at all whether you do Econ or BM. They will require you to achieve a given grade in physics/maths and accomplish a given total points. Sometimes it is also required that you get a certain number of points (e.g. min. 18) in your HL subjects.

I am an IB Economics tutor and examiner, and I don't think that the current HL syllabus is too demanding for someone who is familiar with basic algebra and who takes their time to study. Once you get the (basic!) concepts and understand the (basic!) models/theories that are required it is going to be fairly easy to score well in the subject even at HL. I always recommend my students to take Econ at higher level, as it is a subject they usually do well at HL. Although I don't teach BM, what I said is justified by looking at the statistics from last year: for HL Economics, 44% of students got either 6 or 7 (with 13% getting 7), whereas this no. is just 23% for HL BM (with only 4% getting a 7).

((And btw, Economics is a science, whereas BM is not.))

Let me know if you have any questions.

All the best,

EconDaddy,

IB Econ tutor and examiner

www.econdaddy.com

• Like 1

Oh alright thank you very much! Do you think economics would be fairly easy if you find Maths quite easy? The thing is I really want to get a high grade in economics since the college I want to get into requires at least a 6 in it and also a quite high overall grade and as i'm really not very good at languages I want to do good on this third HL subject. Thank you anyways :)

In my opinion, econ math is quite easy. the hard bit is actually stuff like writing the essay paper and stuff. the math, provided you remember the formulas, is really easy.

For example: (I'm using the variables, but don't worry about that)

C+I+G+(x-m)= GDP

C= sddf$

I=werr$

GDP= sffgg$

Find (x-m)

THough the variables may be given to you in a different way or something, the math itself is quite easy.

And I am in SL math, taking HL Econ, and I think its quite manageable.

Honestly, I would worry more about writing your Paper 1 and 2 more. The math paper is quite easy.

Hope this helps

King112