IB Psychology Studies for Exams

KathrynDella

Hello everyone! As I'm sure everyone is aware exams are quickly approaching. In the rush to get ready I have decided to share a secret my teacher has us do that past students have loved!!!

(I'm in SL so our units are Biological-B, Cognitive- C, Sociocultural-SC, and Abnormal-AB, if you see me write LOA I mean level of analysis, so CLOA would be cognitive level of analysis ect.)

For each unit  we are required to make a "review book". To do this we use a composition notebook for each unit and split them into sections for each learning objective (So for the BLOA we had 13, CLOA 12, ABLOA 12, and SCLOA has 15). For each objective we wrote 5 studies in. Each study is put in with a summary, CEGM (stands for Culture, Ethics, Gender, Methods if you don't do it that way), and strengths and limitations. 

As Exams are approaching I am seeking additional studies to learn as a just in case kind of thing. If you have any you could help me with please give me the name of researcher(s), date(s), a short summary if you can, and if you have one a link to where I can find the study (or I can find it myself). 

EX: This is exactly how it is in my review book.

LOA: Biological
Objectives: B1, B2, B4 (It might fit under more but that's all I have it under in mine)

Summary: In 1950, Lashley cut pieces out of the cortices in rats after they had been trained to run a maze. No matter what part of the cortex was removed, rats kept at least partial memory of the maze. Lashley concluded that memory did not lie in specific parts of the brain, or resides in a number of locations within the cortex, or maybe outside of the cortex completely. 

In 1953, Gerard thought that memory lay in the electrical activity of the. In an attempt to prove his theory he conducted an experiment in which he trained ham brain hamsters to turn in a particular direction to obtain food then lowered their body temperature until all electric activity ceased. He then revived the rats and electrical activity began again. The hamsters could still remember which direction to turn, disproving Gerard's view. 

Culture: Both experiments done in the 1950s on rodents, both done in the US, done during the cold war era when behaviorism was popular, no ethical guidelines during the period of time when the experiments were done

Ethics: Gerard killed hamsters then revived them, Lashley cut pieces out of rats brains

Gender: Amnesia (which could be impacted by research on memory) is more common in females

Methods: Lab setting, experimental, Independent samples

Strengths: Studying animals helps uncover the way the human brain (memory especially) works, has the potential to help humans, Lashley was one of the first to try and demonstrate localization of function

Limitations: Lashley only cut certain parts of the brain but still concluded that memory did not lie in specific parts of the brain, not much could be concluded, the experimenters did not know what they were looking for, very inconclusive, researchers did not control all variables (i.e. rodents still had their sense of smell)

PS: If you need any studies just let me know!  :D 

Edited by KathrynDella

This is MY cribsheet for sociocultral

Outline principles that define the sociocultural level of analysis.

(SEE POSTER)

Explain how principles that define the sociocultural level of analysis may be demonstrated in research

(theories and/or studies).

Wei et al. (2001) – Culture influences behaviour

Tajfel (1970) – Need to Belong

Discuss how and why particular research methods are used at the sociocultural level of analysis.

Discuss ethical considerations related to research studies at the sociocultural level of analysis.

Bandura (1961) – Experiments

Describe the role of situational and dispositional factors in explaining behaviour.

Heider (1958) – Attribution Theory

Simmel (1944) – Evil Shapes

Discuss two errors in attributions.

Ross’ (1977) FAE Theory

Ross et al. (1977) – FAE Quiz Game

Evaluate social identity theory, making reference to relevant studies.

Tajfel (1970) – Ingroup/Outgroup Favourtism

Explain the formation of stereotypes and their effect on behaviour.

Snyder and Swann (1978) – Introvert/Extrovert

Explain social learning theory, making reference to two relevant studies.

Bandura (1961)

Discuss the use of compliance techniques.

Dickerson et al. (1992) Uni Showers

Evaluate research on conformity to group norms.

Solomon Asch (1951) – Deliberate Wrong Answers

Discuss factors influencing conformity.

Hofstede Scale (1973)

Define the terms “culture†and “cultural normsâ€.

Matsumoto (2004)

Examine the role of two cultural dimensions on behaviour.

Wei et al. (2001)

Using one or more examples, explain “emic†and “etic†concepts.

Bartlett (1932)

Wei et al. (2001)

but those are for 8 markers

in HL