My levels of stress are too damn high! (EE History)

Bella

So my school, which in all honesty is probably the WORST option for an IB school due to countless reasons but I will hold back my whining; has made up their own system of deadlines for things like IA's, EE, etc. Now I'm in the first year of IB and since I enjoy history, I chose to write my EE in history. Now.. I have gone through several topics and my main problem is that my supervisor (History HL teacher), does not like my topics. Now, okay I understand he has every right to tell me he dislikes something, and I have every right to write on which ever topic I please, because in the end it is my essay. But he makes it extremely difficult for me in the sense that all he does it bash my topics and kind of scratches my throat about it. 

My first topic was going to be based around Josef Mengele, which my supervisor did not accept at all. He kept going on about how it is morally wrong to even write about those things/people, and that it's not acceptable and he strongly dislikes the topic, blah blah blah, etc. Okay.. he even made me feel uncomfortable and guilty about wanting to write on such a topic.. I move on and chose another topic, which was going to basically be about the 17th century plague epidemic in Northern Italy, which in my eyes is really interesting to read about; the changes it made in society, economy, habits and relations between people etc., but yet AGAIN he 'rejected' my topic, bashing it, telling me this and that, it is such a dark thing to write about, why would I want to write about these sorts of things.. It seemed he was trying to make me convince myself that I really don't like these topics and I'm just going to write about them because they are easy or something along the lines of this.. which isn't true at all, I'm interested in these topics.. that's why I f**king chose them!!! I'm going insane and now I'm having trouble finding sources and my supervisor has TOTALLY destroyed any motivation on writing that essay on the plague topic.. Now I'm absolutely lost in my mind, I have no idea what to do.. an essay outline is due in 15 days and I haven't even got a solid topic it seems.. I want to change my topic and RQ now, and as far as I know, nobody here is allowed to give one to me and that is totally understandable, but I just feel like I need some sort of support or counselling, or someone to consult.. because at my school, there isn't anyone like that, that I would be willing to go to. My supervisor just dislikes me and has no problem showing it, in class or if I approach him personally.

Topic wise, I'm interested in France (French Revolution and before that too), Japan, Korea and Asia in general (mostly pre- WW1, I find it a lot more 'colourful' than the war history).. Italy is also very interesting, preferably Venice and how it was in its earlier centuries.. My supervisor also has a habit of mocking us (his students) and laughing at our topics if he finds then strange.. All in all he is a great teacher but I just can't take this side of him, it's driving me over the edge. The IB coordinator is terrible and has no idea how to do her job, our previous coordinator who worked in our school had quit when I was in pre-IB.. she was lovely and had a solution to just about everything. But the current IB coordinator.. well she just came back from a 3 months vacation in Africa and is confused to why all the IB students are confused and in a daze about the work we have left to do this year and the next year..  :hmmph:  this is going all over my head.  :dash:

Anyways I'm really in need of a helping hand, someone who has been through this situation, might be able to help me.. I have Skype, an email.. whatever. I just need someone to talk to, some guidance would be needed.. I'm just on my breaking point and I can't cope alone anymore, this is my last chance to figure things out. If anyone is willing to just guide me a bit, I would be thankful forever. Congratulations for making it to the end of my blazing post of madness, I hope to hear some replies soon. :(

Edited by Bella
  • Like 1

I really feel sorry for you. 

First of all, your supervisor cannot force you to write about things he likes. You should choose the topic. 

When it came to Josef Mengele, I cannot really understand why you cannot write about him, the only reason which I can find or understand that you essay can be more about ethics than history, but still you can write about it!!! 

The most important thing now, which topics you are thinking about now? The research question can be changed afterwards, the most important thing is to find a good topic and good sources. 

I wrote EE in history, i did not have many problems with my supervisor, the only problem that he was helpless, he did not say anything about what he think about our topics or research question.

Edited by Maha

I find it crazy you can't write about Josef Mengele. I'm doing something on Hitler, so really, all I can say is What the ****?

Next, you can definitely do something on the French Revolution. What I suggest is, this is advice from a History teacher in my school:

Find a topic you like, and then find a historical debate. I'm sure if you Google it, you will find it without problem. I'm sorry I am not finding something for you, because I am kinda tired from working out, but what you can do is Google that, and then form a RQ based on that. 

Example: Debate about why Stalin rose to power. Possible RQ: Were the political factors in the Bolshevik Party a greater factor in the rise of Stalin as compared to Trotsky's mistakes.

Real bad example, I know, but you get the gist right. So yeah, that's the approach I did. Let me know if you have any more questions

• Like 3

This is preposterous, your supervisor has no right to tell you what you can or cannot do, they can only give you their input whether or not this is a doable topic, in the end choosing the topic comes down to you. If I were you I would actually inform the IB coordinator about the situation you are in even if she does not know how to do her job, it's her responsibility to guide you and help you throughout IB. Josef Mengele is definitely a doable and fascinating topic, unfortunately your supervisor said you cannot do this topic, right now I would chose a topic that you extremely enjoy and fascinated about. After choosing your topic make sure it is focused and specific, for example as you mentioned the French Revolution, by just doing the French Revolution is too broad and general not specific enough. You could focus on the causes of the French Revolution or the long term effects of the revolution itself, for instance to what extent did the French Revolution of 1789 led to the rise of Napoleon? Something like that. Best of luck in finding topic that your supervisor approves. 

• Like 1

What I have garnered from my IB History teacher is that IB is changing the whole syllabus for the course, which shows that it obviously has many quirks.

Secondly, my school has some crazy deadlines too, and none of the students understand why we don't follow normal IB deadlines. I have a friend who did the whole EE in three weeks, so if you relax, stick to it, and build back up your confidence, you will definitely be able to pull out an outline in 15 days. Feel free to send me a private message with your email, as my school is a new IB school and seems to have many similar issues to you, as well as I am an IB HL History student and my EE is in history!! Let's make it through this together!!

Like what other posters have said, your supervisor has no right to mock your topic choices because like you said, it IS your essay. Are there any other IB history teachers in your school you can ask? Because when our TOK teacher told us about the EE, he said we were allowed to ask other teachers as well and not just our supervisors, so maybe try that? And if you need inspiration for a solid topic, here's the syllabus for history HL. Our TOK teacher said that once we kind of know what we want to write about, we find ourselves a solid book on the topic and go from there. I hope this helps a little and I'm sorry to hear about your situation :P 

HistoryIBCurriculum.docx

Edited by ShootingStar16
  • Like 1

Thank you guys, Im still pretty lost in stuff but Ill get through it. Thank you for the sympathy and advice, but per usual, I went to the IB coordinator and she told me its too late to deal with this and basically waved me off.. I can't believe the IB certifies these kinds of schools with teachers and people with such behavior.. who in the world regulates it and who has the right to somehow contact the IB people to tell them they this school is doing horribly?

WOW this is horrendous and atrocious! It's never too late to deal with this, by stating that your supervisor is definitely not doing her job. If I was in this situation I would inform my parents and meet with the head of the school to discuss this matter. 

• Like 1

This must be one of the most stupid teachers ever.Does he want you to write a love story about pink clouds or a good historical investigation? Why would you not be allowed to write about a horrible part in History.Your teacher sounds like a complete idiot. Write about what you want.

• Like 1

Your supervisor sucks. Just don't listen to him and take no **** from him and write whatever you want. Take a look at the History section of the EE Guide because it may help you. Read some examplar History EEs to get an idea. If he's not willing to guide you then you don't need him at all. I'm doing my EE in English Literature and my supervisor hates me so I'm all on my own and I'm completely fine with that.

Best of luck to you! If you ever feel stressed you can message me :) You'll work things out in the end, don't worry! We're all here for you!

• Like 2

Yes, YOU choose.

Personally, I think your idea of investigating the plague in Italy is a good one.

I read a really good EE exemplar once dealing with the development of vaccination in Europe before and after the Napoleonic wars (If I remember more or less, the question was: why did vaccination spread faster in some parts of Europe than in others). I guess your teacher would still find that "negative" because it does mention death or dying. Anyway, this EE got top marks from examiners who seem to have no squeamish qualms about death and dying..

Maybe that's because they're used to it. They see it everywhere after assessment :D  

Your supervisor sucks. Just don't listen to him and take no **** from him and write whatever you want. Take a look at the History section of the EE Guide because it may help you. Read some examplar History EEs to get an idea. If he's not willing to guide you then you don't need him at all. I'm doing my EE in English Literature and my supervisor hates me so I'm all on my own and I'm completely fine with that. Best of luck to you! If you ever feel stressed you can message me :) You'll work things out in the end, don't worry! We're all here for you!

Love the Cat, biotonic -- cracks me up  :D

• Like 1

Your supervisor sucks. Just don't listen to him and take no **** from him and write whatever you want. Take a look at the History section of the EE Guide because it may help you. Read some examplar History EEs to get an idea. If he's not willing to guide you then you don't need him at all. I'm doing my EE in English Literature and my supervisor hates me so I'm all on my own and I'm completely fine with that. Best of luck to you! If you ever feel stressed you can message me :) You'll work things out in the end, don't worry! We're all here for you!

Thanks :P It goes with the text "When you sneeze in front of your pet and they look like you've just offended their great ancestors"

• Like 1

:D  (Y)   Got me again!  Haven't laughed this hard in a long time..lol  

Thanks :P It goes with the text "When you sneeze in front of your pet and they look like you've just offended their great ancestors"

Edited by Blackcurrant

This is going to require some extra work from you, but I suggest you try finding a supervisor outside of school, someone who's studied (or better yet, is a professor of) History. Then follow the markscheme very closely, read History EEs that have gotten high marks, and try to find an IB teacher to look over it as well. Good luck, man!

• Like 1

Thank's guys, stuff are still pretty tough but I've decided to stick to my Black Death topic.. was a bit too late to change anything, but I'll just have to see what I can do. Thank's a lot for the supportirino, I really appreciate it all, also that you all took the time to read my little horror story XD

• Like 2