IA topic help?

Kyla_R

I would like to do my IA on the long term effects of WWII on children (mental, physical health etc.). My grandmother was alive during the war and talks about her experiences and the way her family lived during the war. I have the opportunity to ask her some questions and I have found a fair amount of sources relating to this topic. Is this an acceptable topic for a history IA? I have a ways to go with my RQ and all but want some feedback before I jump in. I'm not sure about it...I know you can't really put ideas into my head and what I come up with must be my own but I would really appreciate some advice!

I think it will be a little tricky. You need to always keep in mind the importance of historiography in a history essay and the importance of ensuring that you analyse an event or occurrence of some sort. It could become very easy to delve into an analysis of psychological effects, both long- and short-term, on children during the world wars. So you must structure your research question to cater towards a history essay.

I think this is a good idea.  I also think that it may be neccesarry to narrow down the group being analyzed (this is going to be a lot of ideas, so sorry if it's overwhelming):

Does the IA consider all children throughout the world?

Or could you analyze the effects of World War II on the children of a specific continent (e.g., North America, South America, Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia, etc.)

Or of a specific region?  Central Europe?  The Soviet Union?  North Africa?  The Middle East?  The Pacific Islands?  South Asia?  Eastern Asia?

Could it revovle around a particular country?  The effects of the war on Polish children?  Japenese?  American? Algerian?  Russian?

Maybe a focus on children of a particular ethnic group?  Ethnically Japanese and African children in the United States?  Effects of the war on Jewish children in Europe? 

Could it be politically or socio-economically focused?  Comparing the life of children under Nazi rule in Europe, to that of the different Allied Powers?

If I'm overwhelming you with ideas, sorry.  If I'm ranting on while you already have your heart set, or my suggestions are just bad, also sorry.