WHICH SUBJECTS SHOULD I TAKE?

Abood_Ahmad

I am suppose to choose my subject for next year in IB. I am planning to take Medicine as my career and i plan to study in the UK.

COULD ANY IB STUDENT THE SIMILAR SUBJECTS GIVE ME SOME ADVICE.

Math HL

Business HL

Chem HL
Bio HL

Lang and Lit SL
Spanish Ab intio HL 

PLEASE COULD ANY GIVE SOME ADVICE ON WHICH SUBJECTS TO TAKE OR NOT 

THANKS      :)

Would you mind stopping shouting? No need for all capital letters.

Math, Biology and Chemistry HL should be fine for medicine (though, be warned, it's a very difficult combination), but you don't need Business HL and you'll make your life infinitely less difficult if you drop it to SL, especially since it doesn't help you in medicine. Business is also seen as a soft subject by universities so you might want to reconsider that option completely (other 'soft' subjects are said to be ITGS and ESS). You also need to have 3-4 HLs and 2-3 SLs, so you definitely have to drop at least one. Medicine is very competitive, so I suggest you drop Business and Spanish to SL so it would be easier to get your 6s and 7s from them. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm taking Biology and Chemistry HL right now and there is a lot of content for Biology and require a lot of memorisation.

Business is a relatively easy subject so there would be no point of taking it at HL anyways, maybe you should consider Economics SL/HL instead.

Also, Language ab initio subjects are only offered at SL - if you want to take Spanish at HL you can only take it at Spanish A or Spanish B.

Like ellie said you need at 3-4 HLs and 2-3 SLs, so 5 HLs would not be an option.

Like every IB counsellor in every school, I would suggest you take only 3 HL subjects because you don't get any extra credit for taking 4 HLs.

If you're looking for extra credit things, you can consider the Bilingual diploma (take 2 language A subjects e.g. English A and Spanish A etc.)

But basically -

Math, Chemistry, Biology HL - Yes for Medicine because as far as I'm aware, UK universities love that you take Math HL for math-related subjects and most of them do require at least 2 science subjects for science-related subjects.

Business HL - No (take Economics HL/SL) <-- Economics HL is easy

English Language and Literature SL - Yes

Spanish ab initio HL - No because it does not exist (take Spanish ab initio SL or Spanish B)

I am suppose to choose my subject for next year in IB. I am planning to take Medicine as my career and i plan to study in the UK.

COULD ANY IB STUDENT THE SIMILAR SUBJECTS GIVE ME SOME ADVICE.

Math HL

Business HL

Chem HL

Bio HL

Lang and Lit SL

Spanish Ab intio HL 

PLEASE COULD ANY GIVE SOME ADVICE ON WHICH SUBJECTS TO TAKE OR NOT 

THANKS       :)

First, like Elli said, no need for all Caps.

Next, Spanish ab initio means it is not HL.

Third, i suggest dropping Business to SL, because factually, it will not help you get into medicine. Chem, Bio, Math HL is hard. You are going to have to work hard at it. 

But overall, I think it should be fine provided you don't take business HL