Math/Physics EE

Guest rodz91

So I want to do an EE on either Math or Physics, I take both courses at HL and score well on them, and I really like the subjects. At least those basic requisites are met for me to consider those subjects as EE options.

Thing is, as far as I know, nobody in my school, ever, has done an EE on Math, because the "simple" act of choosing an appropriate question seems insanely difficult. I guess this lies in the nature of Math, there can't really be much of your own investigation since when it comes to pure math, anything you do has probably already been done by someone two millennium ago or so.

I was wondering if anyone could offer some ideas? I've read the EE booklet already, and it doesn't really provide much insight. Another thing, I'm not really interested in doing the history of Math (ie. seeing how different approaches have evolved over time), but rather something which I can investigate by being practical with it.

As for Physics, I'm keeping it as a second choice in the very likely case that I fail to find an appropriate Math question.

If anyone has any ideas for either subjects, or any resources they can provide, I would very much appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...

for math my friend did it on blackjack and related it to card counting; but he'd really good advisors so it wasnt too hard. so just make sure u have good math advisors to help u with it. i am not sure about his specific research question though.

i am not sure about physics though b/c not that many ppl in my skool choose it as their ee subject

hi
firstly its important to have good advisors in either one, as either of these EE's can be very tricky.
For physics good EE topics are generally related to everyday situations or very abstract theories. For example for Physics, if you are really good, it is possible for you to research on the background behind the CERN experiment, relating to the Big Bang Theory. You can ask a research question such as, What are the potential dangers from the carrying out of this experiment, and why/ can they occur? Simpler topics would be experimental topics, such as Would the heat produced while making an omelette sufficient to melt _____(insert a metal here or some other substance)? The important thing is that the idea interests you deeply, as much work will have to be put in, to such experimental set-ups requiring much of your own free time. For math you could investigate various theorems etc.
Hope this helps, gd luck on your EE
Cheers

[quote name='starry-night' post='24815' date='Sep 20 2008, 03:57 PM']for math my friend did it on blackjack and related it to card counting; but he'd really good advisors so it wasnt too hard. so just make sure u have good math advisors to help u with it. i am not sure about his specific research question though.

i am not sure about physics though b/c not that many ppl in my skool choose it as their ee subject[/quote]

[quote name='rodz91' post='24875' date='Sep 20 2008, 11:26 PM']The math behind Blackjack? That's... wow, that's brilliant :P

Not sure how passionate I can get about it, but I'm sure it's a fairly neat start. Thanks a lot.

Any more ideas are welcome too, btw :) [/quote]

mmhh the blackjack idea is good.. but you've gotta be careful there.. i'm guessing that there will be quite a few people who've chosen maths as their EE who will choose it..e especially after the movie '21' that came out this year (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478087/)

good luck!

B