English literature: paper 2

Dr. Gucci

Hi there,

I just joined this forum after I have been reading it for like 2 months, Tomorrow I have an IB paper 2 test for English. I will write the essay about The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger. I gathered some quotations and information about the book. 

I read through some websites explaining what the paper 2 is all about, but I still have some questions. Let's say, the essay question is about the transition from childhood into adulthood. I've gathered some key events from the book which have to  do with this transition, or at least to do with either childhood or adulthood. What do you need to write in one body paragraph? My teacher told me a few times what to write in it, but it's still unclear for me.

The thing what I thought is use PED (point, example, develop). So for example the first body paragraph is about childhood, the point being made is Holden is behaving childish etc. As an example I will use a quote of a specific scene and develop the example with the point being made. And you continue doing this for the second, third etc. paragraph.

Is the example above a good body paragraph or am I doing it completely wrong? I really appreciate comments on my question!

I did the essay today, and I took a different approach.

- My first body paragraph was about context & setting

- The second body paragraph was about childhood & language

- The third body paragraph was about adulthood & Changes

- The fourth body paragraph was about symbolism

I hope this will help someone in the future if they are searching for some useful information about how to write an essay

about The Catcher in the Rye!

*Topic can be closed

• 3 weeks later...