History EE Help

pranav989

Hey guys ,

I was thinking of doing my EE on 'Assassination attempts on Hitler' . The topic and the question I have not framed properly right now but can you people please help me with my sources ? Primary or secondary . Though primary would be better. Thanks

you can't start looking for sources until you have a good question. Right now there sounds like there will be no analysis and just summarizing what happened in each assassination attempt. This will definitely not score highly. Second, this is YOUR investigation, you need to collect your own sources, because when your viva voce comes around, your supervisor will ask you where you got your sources, and what are you going to say? some random people gave them to me on the internet, doesn't look good and is borderline academic dishonesty. Just do it yourself. 

• 2 weeks later...

Actually you can definitely start doing research before you have a question. As you read you might think of a question that comes up. The first step is to go to the Wikipedia page of the topic that you are researching. You will find a list of assassination attempts- there are quite a few! I suggest narrowing it down. Maybe only assassination attempts that occurred during World War II? Or maybe even just one assassination attempt. Let's take the 20 July Plot as there is a lot written about it.

I would suggest reading the Wikipedia article on the plot, then check out of your library a very general book, like the Encyclopedia of the Third Reich. Read the sections that are relevant to you. Next you can move to more specific references like Plotting Hitler's Death: The Story of the German Resistance by Fest Joachim. You can find a list of references at the end of the 20 July Plot Wikipedia page under 'bibliography.' Start by choosing a few of those. Remember to take notes as you go. Once you've read a little bit, you should be able to formulate a question, and then you can do more in depth reading to support the argument that you will make in your thesis.

Hope that helps!