Is my exploration topic legitimate.

faisal

Greetings,

I know I am a little too late for this but I spent the last few weeks researching and looking for topics for my Exploration, and I eventually settled on "Finding the Surface Area of an Egg". I showed it to my teacher and he told me that he is unsure about the topic and is afraid that I might be accused of plagiarism because I got the equation I am planning to use from here: 

http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/407310/how-can-i-find-the-surface-area-of-a-normal-chicken-egg. 

I will be obviously using my own egg and my own readings. I will also show my own workout and elaborate as much as I can. Now I am asking you if what I am doing is fine and my if exploration would be legit or if I need to change it?

Another question I have is: Are explorations like the science Lab reports where it is fine for many students to have more or less the same topic or do they have to be unique like an extended essay?

The reason for all these misunderstandings is because my school is relatively new to the IBDP and my teachers are rather inexperienced.

Thanks in advance for your help.