IB Psych Help or Advice?

almondm1998

I'm in my first year of Psychology and I don't feel like I'm learning enough of the topic for the papers next year. My teacher isn't the best teacher and that probably comes from our class of 5 people. Some of us have started to do our own things but I don't think it's enough. Does anybody have an advice or suggestions for me? I'm open to trying anything new to learn the information. Thank you.

1. You can use websites such as ibpsychnotes.com - They have learning outcomes for BLOA, CLOA and SCLOA, as well as experiments/studies that you can talk about in your SAQs and essays.

2. Another useful website is ibguides.com - Go to the psychology section and once again, notes for all the learning outcomes of BLOA, CLOA and SCLOA. (Not so sure about the options though, haven't checked them out yet!)

3. You can also have a look at the syllabus if you haven't done so, to familiarise yourself with the command terms. (My teacher really emphasises on the importance of distinguishing the command terms for the SAQ and the command terms for the essays)

4. Learn how to write SAQs and essays- A skills, B skills, answering the main question, linking to other areas of psychology etc. There are quite a number of websites online that teach you how to do so, google them, or if you still can't find them, tell me and I'll try to help :)

Hope all goes well!

• Like 3

All avalinelegato mentioned are excellent sources -- I'd add that if you can get your hands on them, practice past papers, familiarise yourself with the questions. Your teacher might have them, you can say you're looking to do some extra work or something. If the same teacher taught in the past years, ask previous students how they handled it, especially if they scored well on the exams.

• Like 2

1. You can use websites such as ibpsychnotes.com - They have learning outcomes for BLOA, CLOA and SCLOA, as well as experiments/studies that you can talk about in your SAQs and essays.

2. Another useful website is ibguides.com - Go to the psychology section and once again, notes for all the learning outcomes of BLOA, CLOA and SCLOA. (Not so sure about the options though, haven't checked them out yet!)

3. You can also have a look at the syllabus if you haven't done so, to familiarise yourself with the command terms. (My teacher really emphasises on the importance of distinguishing the command terms for the SAQ and the command terms for the essays)

4. Learn how to write SAQs and essays- A skills, B skills, answering the main question, linking to other areas of psychology etc. There are quite a number of websites online that teach you how to do so, google them, or if you still can't find them, tell me and I'll try to help :)

Hope all goes well!

Thank you for some great advice! I have actually been using those two websites and they are fantastic. However, I did not think of doing SAQs so I will probably start to do those once I find a good source for it. Once again thank you so much!  :D

All avalinelegato mentioned are excellent sources -- I'd add that if you can get your hands on them, practice past papers, familiarise yourself with the questions. Your teacher might have them, you can say you're looking to do some extra work or something. If the same teacher taught in the past years, ask previous students how they handled it, especially if they scored well on the exams.

Also thank you for replying too! I love your ideas but let me explain the situation more. My school is actually new to IB and I am in the second round of students for it. The Psychology teacher from last year ended up quitting. We got a new one at the beginning of the year, but she quit too because she got pregnant two weeks into the school year. For about a month we didn't have a teacher and knew nothing about what we were supposed to do.  :unsure:  Finally, we got another teacher, but she wasn't trained to teach IB. She finished the IB training before Christmas, but she doesn't know what and how to teach the course (don't get me wrong she's a great teacher, just not a great IB teacher). She actually has practice exam questions and we will probably do them as a class eventually. The group in front of me is taking their exams in a couple of months and they are okay with it, since they had a full year with the other teacher, who was experienced in IB. That's basically the story and kind of why I reached out to some people on here. Hopefully, the ideas I've seen will help. Once again thanks for the great tips! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey.. I take Psychology at HL and from experience I can tell you that its not an easy subject to score nor is it easy to study. I'm not trying to scare you or anything.. its just that you'll have to do a lot of self study for this subject. Yes, please go through all those websites mentioned above,they've great notes.. but make your own notes as well. Get the marking scheme from your teacher along with the question paper; write your answer after studying from the notes you've prepared for yourself and check them against the criteria. This way youll be writing better answers. Make sure you memorize all the key case studiea along with the researcher names.. Make notes on evaluation of these studies as well. These will help you for every exams as there are only a limited number of questions that can be asked