EE History - Battle of Surabaya 1945 (Indonesian History)

dkartoleksono

hi, i'm new at this forum, but i have some questions regarding my EE. My EE is about Indonesian History (The Battle of Surabaya 1945 and its significance towards Indonesia's independence and the position of the Allied forces in Indonesia). My questions are:

1. I typed in reference for every sentence that I typed, is it ok or is it wrong?

2. My first body is composed on the brief history of Indonesia and the event of the Battle itself, is it ok if these topics are in my main body? Or should I skip the whole background history of Indonesia and the battle itself and start analyzing it since paragraph one of the body?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I don't understand what you mean by you typed "in reference" for every sentence?

And for my history EE, I gave the background info of the event (years leading up to the event) in the introduction of my essay. So that was technically the first paragraph of my essay..in the second paragraph (the body of the essay), I went right into analyzing evidence and discussing the RQ.

by typing in reference for every sentence what i meant was that for every sentence that has some facts in it, or the sentence i paraphrased, should i put in footnotes saying where i got the sentence/ fact from?

and my research question is what happened during the battle of surabaya and its influence towards indonesia's independence and the allied force. is that good enough? or should i drop the what happened part?

[quote name='dkartoleksono' post='23825' date='Sep 11 2008, 05:46 AM']by typing in reference for every sentence what i meant was that for every sentence that has some facts in it, or the sentence i paraphrased, should i put in footnotes saying where i got the sentence/ fact from?

and my research question is what happened during the battle of surabaya and its influence towards indonesia's independence and the allied force. is that good enough? or should i drop the what happened part?[/quote]

You are allowed to quote as much as you want, but PLEASEE DO indicate all of your sources...
Also, the RQ..... I think starting off with "What happened"might be too complicated, perhaps you might want to only focus on the influence part...

[quote name='Cutetare' post='23897' date='Sep 11 2008, 10:58 PM']You are allowed to quote as much as you want, but PLEASEE DO indicate all of your sources...
Also, the RQ..... I think starting off with "What happened"might be too complicated, perhaps you might want to only focus on the influence part...[/quote]

Ok,but the thing is that since not many people know what the Battle of Surabaya is all about, theexaminer wont know what i'm talking about. And assuming that the what happened part is dropped, what should I do to fill the word count, since the what happened part is explained chronologically in my essay and it composes almost half of my essay.

[quote name='dkartoleksono' post='24220' date='Sep 15 2008, 08:18 AM']Ok,but the thing is that since not many people know what the Battle of Surabaya is all about, theexaminer wont know what i'm talking about. And assuming that the what happened part is dropped, what should I do to fill the word count, since the what happened part is explained chronologically in my essay and it composes almost half of my essay.[/quote]
You don't want to spend half of your essay describing what happened in the battle! If you must have a description, put it in an appendix or something. Your essay is supposed to be an analysis so you will need to analyse sources.

• 3 weeks later...

You're not screwed, you can use the research you've already done to write this essay

Start with the title

The Battle of Surabaya 1945 and its significance towards Indonesia's independence and the position of the Allied forces in Indonesia.

This title implies you're going to narrate the events of the battle and what its impacts are. It's an ok title, honestly but I don't think it gives much room for analysis. A good EE title should be a question. So maybe paraphrase this into a question.

like:

To what extent did the Battle of Surabaya have negative (or positive) towards Indonesia's independence and the position of the Allied forces in Indonesia.

The negative/positive part you can change more to fit your research, like To what extent was it more damaging or helpful for ___.

That gives you a question to answer and would focus your writing instead of your just narrating events. You are allowed to tell a bit of what happened, but don't make it a substantial part of your essay. If you really do have to narrate what happened, put it in the appendix

• 3 months later...

i;m so sorry for replying in this thread after a long time.. took a while to do some IAs and whatnot. Umm.. i'm in some kind of an emergency.. i didnt post it telling you guys that my batch is the very first IB batch in my school, hence things are a bit chaotic and unorganized. Here are some questions I need to ask:

1. My friend was forced to change his EE topic because apparently my principal told him that since history is not taught in my school (in which it isn't), he's not supposed to take it. Is this statement true?

2. When i was reading the EE guidebook distributed by my school, i stumbled upon two things, apparently students who dont take the subject yet do an ee on the subjects tend to score lower.. is this true? and another one, i was supposed to give history terminologies, what and where can i find these terms?

thank you, your assistance is gravely needed.. literally :)

Oh and sorry for double posting, but Leia, i decided to formulate this title, similar to your "To what extent did the Battle of Surabaya have negative (or positive) towards Indonesia's independence and the position of the Allied forces in Indonesia." but i changed it to "To what extent has the battle of surabaya affected independence of Indonesia and the allied forces' presence in Indonesia?" for my RQ.. is it ok? or do you want me to formulate a new title? it's ok for me though if you ask me to :)