Should I keep IB?

gohawks

Hey guys, so our school started a week ago and I'm still on the fence about keeping IB.

My current schedule (with IB) is:

English HL1
Chemistry
Algebra 2
Spanish 3
AP US history
Visual Arts SL

If i were to drop IB, I obviously wouldn't be doing my Vis. Arts class and the extra courses (history of americas, etc.). I want to go to UC Irvine or UCLA. What do you guys think? I'm apprehensive about so much work for IB that I won't have any time to devote to my other classes (chem, alg.2) I don't want to be up to my neck with books and papers every day, 24-7. Based on my schedule, what do you think I should do? I'm pretty basic in math and science (hence the standard levels but English and history are really my strong points.

Advice?

Thank you.

[quote name='gohawks' post='23708' date='Sep 10 2008, 05:19 AM']Hey guys, so our school started a week ago and I'm still on the fence about keeping IB.

My current schedule (with IB) is:

English HL1
Chemistry
Algebra 2
Spanish 3
AP US history
Visual Arts SL

If i were to drop IB, I obviously wouldn't be doing my Vis. Arts class and the extra courses (history of americas, etc.). I want to go to UC Irvine or UCLA. What do you guys think? I'm apprehensive about so much work for IB that I won't have any time to devote to my other classes (chem, alg.2) I don't want to be up to my neck with books and papers every day, 24-7. Based on my schedule, what do you think I should do? I'm pretty basic in math and science (hence the standard levels but English and history are really my strong points.

Advice?

Thank you.[/quote]

keep it..
i'm an average student..but i try hard, i can maintain A averages even with IB dragging my leg...math and science, just ask a lot of questions, are you in Chem HL or SL? HL is a bit of a struggle for people who are bad at math...but SL shouldn't be that complicated....

too much work in IB? well, no, not really...plan out your time...like, since it's two years, finish as much as you can during first year....then second year, most IAs are due around the same time, so start early with the stuff you can and know how to do...

for example

i'm two weeks into my IB course, i know my IAs

now i'm working on

2 hours of EE each day, i split my EE into four sections, one section each week, max limit of two hours per day for each section...
1-2 hours of math and chemistry, depending on the work and review load...
1 hour on english world lit, 2 hours if i have a book to read.

that only adds up to about 5 hours...i get off at 3 and sleep at 11pm, that's more than enough to finish my hw...and i have time to do stuff like this...

[quote name='gohawks' post='23708' date='Sep 10 2008, 06:19 AM']I want to go to UC Irvine or UCLA. What do you guys think? I'm apprehensive about so much work for IB that I won't have any time to devote to my other classes (chem, alg.2) I don't want to be up to my neck with books and papers every day, 24-7.[/quote]

What do you think the workload will be like at UCLA? Probably pretty similar to IB if not more. If you want to properly prepare yourself I recommend you keep IB subjects. You'll be studying 24-7 and be 'up to your neck with books and papers everyday' at uni so you should learn time management skills etc now while you can instead of at uni where you could jeopardise your degree.