Psychology HL or Chemistry HL

lil_lil

This was extracted and kind of altered from my last post:

Currently, I'm in year 10 and until the end of this year, I think I can change my subjects around.

I am uncertain on English, Mathematiccs, Psychology and Chemistry. Looking around, the majority gave me an impression that Psychology is really hard and my teacher, a really, nice and honest person said that it's hard to receive over a 5 for it!

As for Chemistry, I know that I have to take it to open up my choices since I am confused on what I want as my career. Anyway, I am doing quite well with Science and therefore hoped to do HL. Nonetheless, I was shocked to discover that Chemistry is quite hard too.

By the way, my school only allow students to take on three higher levels subjects.

Therefore, if anyone is kind enough, please help me! It is greatly appreciated if anyone out there can tell which parts or areas that they considered as difficult. Even if it is out of my ability to comprehend, I will keep it in mind. I was reading the couse syllabus for each of the subject. In Chemistry, I planned to take Option D: Medicine and Drugs and Option B: Human Biochemistry to make up for me not doing Biology. Meanwhile, for Psychology, I am planning to take Comparative Psychology and Life Span Psychology.

I am wondering whether my choices are hard, especially for those who had previous or current experiences with the subjects.

In terms of enjoyment, Psychology preponderates but like I stated previously, it kind of holds higher risks too.

Meanwhile, Chemistry doesn't since I will be getting a tutor as there is like virtually proper tutors for Psychology.

Overall, please help me!!!

Chemistry_Guide.pdf

Psychology_Guide.pdf

Edited by lil_lil

Chemistry HL is a prereq for every life science/pre-med program there is.

I'm in a pre-med program right now and they wanted chem HL, maths SL/HL, bio SL/HL, english HL and 2 humanities/social sciences. You can always take psych in university (which is what I'm doing right now). Actually, psychobiology is one of the mandatory courses as a first year in pre-med.

This was extracted and kind of altered from my last post:

Currently, I'm in year 10 and until the end of this year, I think I can change my subjects around.

I am uncertain on English, Mathematiccs, Psychology and Chemistry. Looking around, the majority gave me an impression that Psychology is really hard and my teacher, a really, nice and honest person said that it's hard to receive over a 5 for it!

As for Chemistry, I know that I have to take it to open up my choices since I am confused on what I want as my career. Anyway, I am doing quite well with Science and therefore hoped to do HL. Nonetheless, I was shocked to discover that Chemistry is quite hard too.

By the way, my school only allow students to take on three higher levels subjects.

Therefore, if anyone is kind enough, please help me! It is greatly appreciated if anyone out there can tell which parts or areas that they considered as difficult. Even if it is out of my ability to comprehend, I will keep it in mind. I was reading the couse syllabus for each of the subject. In Chemistry, I planned to take Option D: Medicine and Drugs and Option B: Human Biochemistry to make up for me not doing Biology. Meanwhile, for Psychology, I am planning to take Comparative Psychology and Life Span Psychology.

I am wondering whether my choices are hard, especially for those who had previous or current experiences with the subjects.

In terms of enjoyment, Psychology preponderates but like I stated previously, it kind of holds higher risks too.

Meanwhile, Chemistry doesn't since I will be getting a tutor as there is like virtually proper tutors for Psychology.

Overall, please help me!!!

our school don't offer psych, but you should take psych only if you're planning on going into psych...if it's just med in general, take chemistry, because whatever you want to branch off, chemistry is the more helpful one...

Wait! Does that mean that Physics is not needed. The reason I chose physics was because my tutor said it would help if I am planning to do Mathematics HL. I don't really like it nor find it easy, (the concepts are very confusing for me)...Should I do Biology and not do Physics then?

Hey!!

I am aiming for a medical career too!

I had the exact same problem as you! My original plan was to do Psych, Bio and Chem..

However, my teacher said that Physics is very important and it is really hard to pick Physics up in University, but I believe you can easily pick Biology up when you go to Med/Pre-med school.

I reckon Chemistry should be more important for medicine as our bodies are basically made up of chemicals (lol Carbon)

On the other hand, Psychology may come in handy when you wish to talk to patients. It would be a slight advantage for your future career.

Still, i reckon you should do chemistry as I believe it is more useful.

Thank you everyone! I think I am very sure on what I am going to do now.

Oh and by the way, Misty Rose your subjects doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

According to my school and my limited knowledge, you can only take 2 Sciences subjects and one Social Science subject...

EDIT: Sorry, after reading Misty Rose's thread, I understood. Again, thank you all for your advices.

Edited by lil_lil

Hey Im a premed student myself and finished IB in 2007...

really it all depends on where you want to study medicine.. If youre planning on North America.. go with Chem HL.. and take psych as an elective when you get to uni.. also Bio HL is a MUST for going into anything medical/bio related... you can easily do physics in university.. and i think you will only need to take 2 physics courses (ie. 6 credits) in order to do your MCATS which will qualify you to enter medicine..

Also if you do Chem and Bio HL and get above 5's then you can get credits and skip freshman year.. though it just gets harder.. trust me..

even if you dont get credits it would really help to have seen some parts of organic chemistry before you start taking organic 1 and 2 which are quite challenging..

Again.. this all depends on where you plan on studying medicine... other places dont give you credits or may force you to take a foundation year where you study bio chem and phys..

so just look around for med schools and their requirements..

Chemistry HL is a prereq for every life science/pre-med program there is.

I'm in a pre-med program right now and they wanted chem HL, maths SL/HL, bio SL/HL, english HL and 2 humanities/social sciences. You can always take psych in university (which is what I'm doing right now). Actually, psychobiology is one of the mandatory courses as a first year in pre-med.

HL Chem and SL Bio? Really? I thought it'd be the other way or both HL. I switched HL Bio for HL Math anyway. ~_~

Edited by moneyfaery