Help in order to get a six in HL literature?!?

lucea

Hi. Like the title says, I need help in general when it comes to IB English A Literature. English was always my favorite subject and I was one of the top students in my class, but now I'm just lost :S

I got 6s and even 7s occasionally in year 1, but in year 2 I never understand what my teacher wants. I consistently get 5s on commentaries done in class.

I recorded an IOC and got a 5, while there were plenty in my class who hate English and never read in their free time (like I do) who got 6s. They just tell me to read the rubric in order to improve when I ask them for advice -_-

The problem is when I analyze; there's always a "scientifically" correct answer with this teacher. One of the poems we read was about a narrator recounting how a young man got his hand cut off while farming, and how his family unsuccessfully tried to help him and then moved on with their lives when he died. I wrote that the poem was about how the poor man was innocent (like a baby) and that farm life is hard seeing as how his family had to move on. She rejected my claim that the poem had something to do with the man being young, and focused on how brutal the death was. I don't get it. Whenever I ask her what I'm not doing in my commentary, she just says I go off on tangents and that it doesn't matter because I'll get college credit for the class anyway. l I'm very frustrated.

I already got a six on my IOP last year. Now, I'm waiting for the external assessments.

How did you guys get 6s or better in English A Literature? Any help is much appreciated.

I know what you mean. Same happened to me in my final year. It was exasperating, to say the least!

:dash:

You'll have to ask you teacher, as she the best placed to tell you. There is nothing magic, or "scientific" really: it is a matter of providing an interpretation that is accurate and well supported by reference to the text. I think the poem you are referrring to is Frost's "Out- Out..." isn't it-.Looks simple (Like "Two Paths Diverged ..." another of Frost's, .. simple but easy to misunderstand the tone. Even teachers get it wrong. You'll know if you ever used Perrine's _Sound and Sense_ )

So it could be your mis- interpretation. Or your teacher having her own and not ready to hear any other. Or.... 

Otherwise, your classmates may be correct: are you writing to the criteria? or to what you have always written and done well with? What may have happened is that your teacher in the first year marked loosely (to "encourage") but only now (final year) marking exactly according to the IB criteria. 

So go back to your teacher. It is after all her JOB to make sure that you get it....And to teach you, write? ...Right?  :D

Edited by Blackcurrant
  • Like 1