Want to study Psychology and Business

jinahyejin

I want to study Psychology and Business in the future for university,

I'm starting IB next year and I have to choose my classes by next month.

I want to study in Netherlands, France or America

I can take:

Bio HL/SL

Chem HL/SL

Physics HL/SL

ECON HL/SL

English A lang lit HL/SL

English A literature HL/SL

French B HL/SL

Math HL/SL

Business HL/SL

History HL/SL

Geo HL/SL

I want to study a bit of science/math and a bit of literature 

There aren't any subject requirement for studying business and/or psychology in the US so you can pick whichever subjects you're interested in but obviously pick things that are relevant to your intended major(s). I'm not sure about the requirements for Dutch/French universities so I'm only going to advise you on American universities.

Since psychology involves quite a bit of biology take Biology HL and consider taking Chemistry HL too, if dutch/french universities have requirements similar to British universities then I highly recommend taking chemistry HL as most of them require it to study psychology. For business, take economics as its a much more respected subject than business and management and consider taking it as a higher level subject as there is very little difference between HL/SL economics plus its an easy HL subject. As your interested in literature take english literature SL - its more difficult than lang/lit but IMO its more straight forward.

I also recommend you take maths SL - which majors within business are you specifically looking at? If you are by any chance considering economics then consider taking higher level maths as its a quantitative heavy e major (granted you don't have to go for the quantitative heavy major, most college I've looked at have a regular economics major - less maths requirements, in addition to a quantitative economics major). Finance is pretty quantitative too but it doesn't require maths HL, most programs I've looked at require calculus 2 at most to meet graduation requirements. All other business majors don't require anything above maths SL so if you're not considering majoring in the two disciplines I mentioned stick with maths SL as maths HL is really difficult. 

I highly recommend you check the entry requirements of the universities in the Netherlands and France that you're interested in as most European universities have stingy entrance requirements. If they don't require chemistry then don't take it at higher level (or at all) if you're not interested or would rather take another science or group 3 subject. 

• Like 2

Assuming you do not have any especially favourite subjects, I recommend:

English A lang lit HL/SL

French B HL/SL

Economics HL/SL

Math HL/SL

Business HL/SL

Biology HL/SL

Perhaps something like this. It's a shame that you can't take IB Psychology since it will be quite beneficial to you to grasp an idea of what studying Psychology really means, but you can always pick up a textbook on it if you're interested. As to the above combination, a triple combo of Econs, Math and Business will give you a very sound base in whatever kind of business units/modules/courses you decide to choose in the future, and you can't go wrong with those subjects really. Take Math HL if you're good in Math, but you can take SL if you aren't that strong in it. Psychology and Business is a really flexible degree especially if you're going to those countries that you mentioned. Biology, preferably in HL, will give you a good foundation in the biological level of psychology. 

Oh and English Lang/Lit because of the language part where you get to discuss about how language transcends over time, used in society and stuff, there's a slight psychological (or sociological?) element about it compared to pure Literature. 

If you like stuff like History/Geo, you can always switch one of Econs/Business out :) 

Good luck!

• Like 1

There aren't any subject requirement for studying business and/or psychology in the US so you can pick whichever subjects you're interested in but obviously pick things that are relevant to your intended major(s). I'm not sure about the requirements for Dutch/French universities so I'm only going to advise you on American universities.

Since psychology involves quite a bit of biology take Biology HL and consider taking Chemistry HL too, if dutch/french universities have requirements similar to British universities then I highly recommend taking chemistry HL as most of them require it to study psychology. For business, take economics as its a much more respected subject than business and management and consider taking it as a higher level subject as there is very little difference between HL/SL economics plus its an easy HL subject. As your interested in literature take english literature SL - its more difficult than lang/lit but IMO its more straight forward.

I also recommend you take maths SL - which majors within business are you specifically looking at? If you are by any chance considering economics then consider taking higher level maths as its a quantitative heavy e major (granted you don't have to go for the quantitative heavy major, most college I've looked at have a regular economics major - less maths requirements, in addition to a quantitative economics major). Finance is pretty quantitative too but it doesn't require maths HL, most programs I've looked at require calculus 2 at most to meet graduation requirements. All other business majors don't require anything above maths SL so if you're not considering majoring in the two disciplines I mentioned stick with maths SL as maths HL is really difficult. 

I highly recommend you check the entry requirements of the universities in the Netherlands and France that you're interested in as most European universities have stingy entrance requirements. If they don't require chemistry then don't take it at higher level (or at all) if you're not interested or would rather take another science or group 3 subject. 

I have no idea what kind of business I will be taking, but I feel like it would be useful in the future when I'm getting a job.

If I take Econ, is it useful to take Math HL or do I have to take it?

Before, I thought about biomedical engineering, if I didn't want to take Psychology anymore, could I be able to move to biomedical engineering? 

Yes if you want to study economics you'd benefit from taking HL maths but it isn't necessary if you don't want to go down the math intensive track. 

Probably not if you don't take physics HL and/or maths HL - actually they aren't required per say for American universities but it will increase your chances of getting into top tier colleges for engineering as most applicants will have taken the highest level physics and maths classes that are offered in their high school. But wait, are you asking about switching your major when you are in college or applying for engineering instead of psychology?