I need advice, please! Visual Arts

gohawks

Hi, guys..So I wanted to do IB so I went ahead and let my IB coordinator change my art class to Visual arts SL for IB. I remember last year she told me it was "the art class for non-artsy people", so I'm thinking "Sweet, that's me." Well, she made the switch for me, and I get in there and I feel SO out of place. She told me that's my only option if I want to do IB since I have no previous art fulfillment. The teacher said today "Oh, think about your theme and we'll start painting tomorrow.." I am literally freaking out inside because I certainly am not a skilled artist, and I mean that whole-heartedly. A 5th grader could draw better than me.

What should I do? Do they really down-grade you if you can't draw well?

Help me, please!

of course not. She will not give you bad mark if you draw badly. It's OK if you can't draw really well, but the thing is your concept is more important. Like i did, i take photography in my v-art class *still similar to painting a lil bit*. I can't take picture with a really good angle or lighting or whatever it is, but how we create it, how we compose it, the concept, it's more important than your techniques. Just think about a theme or image that you like and draw it on the canvas. easy right? haha... don't be afraid. it's OK if you don't have good technique. Your teacher won't bite you right? lol ;)

Don't worry about it. i am not the worlds best drawer, painter ect. and i tokk Visual Art HL with my exam in may 2008. you need to be able to talk about your art, and justitify it in a way. you make a piece tell them the insperation, how you went about doing it, what medium you used and why, what did you expect, and then support all of that with an "artsy" vocabulary. i think yu should be ok.

just remeber to pick a theme of something you like. i love jewelry, so that was my theme, but i knew people who had theme like psycology or batman.

once you get to VIP you can see my old RWB (which you will need to keep one with records of all your artwork and research and such), and then you can see pieces that i made for IB art HL too. here is a link but don't bother the mods about why you can't see them yet. read the FAQs. http://www.ibsurvival.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1903

Edited by IBStuck

You don't have to worry at all! my cousin is doing Art HL and he doesn't have the most amazing technical skills, yet he's doing good! as long as you do effective research on other artists in your book, keep evolving idea's and especially trying different mediums to work with, you shouldn't have a problem. they definitely appreciate the effort!

• 3 weeks later...

I am in the exact position as you, as I'm not the worlds greatest drawer, but when I asked my teacher she said that although technique is important, you can still do well as long as you have good ideas, and your work shows effort. The class is about expression, ideas and thoughtful work as well as drawing, so don't worry about it. If you make an effort to do your best you'll be fine.

I don't think so, according to my teacher what they want to see is modern art, and modern art is rarely concerned with detailed and articulate pieces of art. I think its more about the ideas you have and how creatively you are able to portray with different materials and mediums and all. Of course technique is important but i think what they want to see is that you tried and you have imporved and it shows in your workbook and everything.

Hope this helps! =)

• 1 month later...

because of some art geniuses, it may seem like you're at a disadvantage.

but i think that you can balance everything out with hard work

they probably wont grade you down as long as you can demonstrate that you've tried

and really thought through the art process and show your interest and dedication

it may be a lot of work but you can do it if you really try! good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in HL art and I know that one of the important things that the graders look for is progress in your technical ability over a period of time. So sometimes its good if you don't start out being gifted in art cause then you can only get better as long as you put in effort. Also, make sure you pick a theme that you will like for a long time because that is what your work is going to be based on (though it can over time). Just make sure that the stuff you research is relevant and can connect to your theme and work. And have fun! it makes the class go by easier.

• 2 months later...

No it's okay, believe me, I'm not a great artist nor good at painting, but what my teacher said was, The IB examiner wants some new stuff( techniques) ideas and so on, he wouldn't fully concentrate on your painting skills, he will look at the meaning behind the picture and so on. Don't worry you'll do fine :rofl:

• 1 month later...