Some help with an integral please?

TheLonelyDog

Hello!

I'm having a bit of a problem with solving this integral by hand.

H3O3aAu.jpg

Can someone help me solve it? 
I tried using substitution, but I can't get rid of the arctan(x/25). 

Thanks!

I've tried to do this question many times, but unfortunately I can't come up with a good way of solving it by hand. My attempt was to use integration by parts, differentiating the arctan, while integrating the square root. The differentiation comes out really nicely, because d/dx (arctan(x/25)) = 25/(625+x^2), which I can imagine to be nicely simplified with the square root. But I couldn't integrate the square root; trigonometric substitution couldn't help me here, because the result was so complicated that I couldn't bother to continue. I guess there are probably many other integration tricks/methods to solve this question by hand, but those methods would be way beyond the IB scope. But then I begin to wonder, why do you have to solve it by hand anyway? Is there any particular reason? Because it takes like 5 seconds to solve this question using a GDC, especially as the integral is definite.

• Like 1

I've tried to do this question many times, but unfortunately I can't come up with a good way of solving it by hand. My attempt was to use integration by parts, differentiating the arctan, while integrating the square root. The differentiation comes out really nicely, because d/dx (arctan(x/25)) = 25/(625+x^2), which I can imagine to be nicely simplified with the square root. But I couldn't integrate the square root; trigonometric substitution couldn't help me here, because the result was so complicated that I couldn't bother to continue. I guess there are probably many other integration tricks/methods to solve this question by hand, but those methods would be way beyond the IB scope. But then I begin to wonder, why do you have to solve it by hand anyway? Is there any particular reason? Because it takes like 5 seconds to solve this question using a GDC, especially as the integral is definite.

Well, it's the formula for the surface area of the shape formed by rotating  the curve 15.537*arctan(x/25) around the x=axis. I am using it in my Math HL IA, and my teacher recommended that anything done in the IA should be done by hand. I also tried al night to solve it, no luck.

I'll probably just use the GDC and hope the IA won't get downgraded because of this.

Edited by abaaaabbbb63