IB Math SL or HL?

catbug

Okay, so in the next month, we have to hand in our IB topic selections and currently I'm deliberating whether to take Math SL or HL. I'm currently in the Additional Mathematics for IGCSE, but not scoring A and A+. I assumed because I'm taking Additional I would have to take HL, so I'm asking whether or not it would be worth taking HL as opposed to SL. 

Well, I took a look at IGCSE Additional Mathematics syllabus, and I can tell you it goes further than standard system for students here on my school.

I'm just on Pre-DP so I won't comment on the challenge level of Math HL, but I think at least compared to my place your preliminary knowledge for Math HL should be alright.

I altough am scoring only 10's and sometimes 9's on my courses (somewhat equielevants to A's) but since the contents are so easy I don't really count that as an achievement. I however want to prepare for Math HL as well as I can, so I am taking also courses that national side 2nd and 3rd year students take, and this far I've managed to score 10's on them too.

I would say if you are scoring mostly B's you could go for HL Math, on my school some people with 8's (somewhat equielevant to B) but if your general level is closer to C you should maybe reconsider it. At least this is what our teacher told us (altough again here the different grading is used)

As someone that also takes Additional Mathematics I can honestly say it's very hard to archieve an A* or an A in it. There are some things that you have to know for Add Maths exam that you don't have to know for Maths HL exam, as it's on the formula sheet (I'm talking about sec, cosec and cot; there's also some other stuff). What I think you should do is to look at the Math SL and HL syllabus, maybe compare them. It will give you an idea on how much more you have to know for Maths HL and maybe help you with the decision.

Also, it's important what you want to study later on. If you want to study economics, engeneering, something that involves lots of maths, you should (if not must) go for maths HL. If you want to study law or history, maths HL is not a requirement and maths SL will simply make the life easier for you ;). Lastly, you can always choose four HLs and then just drop maths to standard level when it would be too hard for you.

Hope this helps :)

Math HL is hell on wheels and you should only take it if it is necessary for your further education - or take it as the fourth HL that you can drop later. IB is all about the points on the diploma and it's easier to score a 7 in SL. Don't worry - Math SL is challenging enough. ;)

• 2 months later...

Basically everybody who did Additional Maths in my school at IGCSE took Math HL, but then again everybody who did Additional Maths in my school at IGCSE got As and A*s. I guess you can try taking Math HL but if you find it difficult you can always drop to SL and change a SL subject to HL.

• 2 months later...

Okay, so in the next month, we have to hand in our IB topic selections and currently I'm deliberating whether to take Math SL or HL. I'm currently in the Additional Mathematics for IGCSE, but not scoring A and A+. I assumed because I'm taking Additional I would have to take HL, so I'm asking whether or not it would be worth taking HL as opposed to SL. 

I took a look at the syllabus, and in my opinion the syllabus for Additional Maths seems more like SL Maths than HL Maths. When choosing between HL and SL Maths, keep in mind that the difference between the two is not like in other classes: for example when you compare SL and HL Chem, you'll see that HL is basically the SL version plus additional topics, and you'll even see the same questions appear on both SL and HL examinations, whereas HL Math not only requires you to learn more than SL Maths, but the questions are also more advanced and require creative application of concepts you have learned. Ä°n SL Math you can usually see the answer to a question immediately given that you are familiar with the concepts. I for one started with SL Chem and HL Math, then changed Chem to HL and Math to SL due to uni requirements, so I have experienced both. 

Then again, I'm not really a good student in Maths, and seeing that you're quite passionate about the subject it would also make sense to take it at HL just for the fun of it, provided you'll be able to put the time into it. When you look at it from that perspective, HL Maths is much more fun than SL in terms of how the questions are structured. Feel free to message me should you have any other questions  ^_^ .