How long are answers supposed to be?

ellie

I'm studying the With reference to relevant research studies, to what extent is one cognitive process reliable? answer and the example our teacher has given is 2,700 words. This seems insane! Everything in the answer is coherent, there's no repetition, there's theory on schemas and multi-store memory model, plus  Bartlett (1932) and Loftus et al. (1974) studies (600-800 words on each). I'm not really sure on how to write the answers but I'm honestly terrified at the thought that I have to write that much in such a short time. Are the answers really supposed to be this long and detailed? 

I'm studying the With reference to relevant research studies, to what extent is one cognitive process reliable? answer and the example our teacher has given is 2,700 words. This seems insane! Everything in the answer is coherent, there's no repetition, there's theory on schemas and multi-store memory model, plus  Bartlett (1932) and Loftus et al. (1974) studies (600-800 words on each). I'm not really sure on how to write the answers but I'm honestly terrified at the thought that I have to write that much in such a short time. Are the answers really supposed to be this long and detailed? 

Definitely not :o  22 mark questions shouldn't be longer than 900 words and that is stretching it, aim for 700-800 in the exam. Your teacher probably doesn't want you to write an exemplar 22 mark essay for that learning outcome. You'll just have to do it. It shouldn't be too hard to be honest - write 2-3 studies in a lot of detail, write a length introduction/conclusion and a detailed evaluation of each study/theory. 

Good luck!  :P

• Like 2

Thank god, honestly! I was getting so worried. She did say that we don't need to use her example but still, it got me very worried.

Another thing is -- do I really have to define everything? For example, if I say that the study uses cluster sampling, do I have to write 'the study uses cluster sampling which means participants are chosen from a random section of the target population'? 

Nope, only define and explain key terms/theories. If cluster sampling is a key component of the study then it may be worth mentioning it. You don't have to explicitly state the definition, you could in your evaluation write something a long the lines of ''since the participants were chosen randomly the findings of the study can be generalized as the sample is representative of the population''. 

• Like 1