Visual Arts SL Preparation and Requirements?

Interplanetary.Stardust

My school is planning to introduce Visual Arts SL and I am planning to take the subject. I am not a very great artist and I need improvement in many fields of this topic, but it sounds interesting and acts as a different course from what we usually take in other art classes, so I would like to give it a go.I have read about its curriculum on the official IBDP website and I am slightly confused as to what exactly they are expecting from us.

I am planning to start preparing to take this course starting from March. My only problem is that I do not know the requirements needed for this class (such as: What skills should I improve for this subject? What skills in general should I work on?) and as I have stated I am not sure what they expect from us (such as: Are we going to make pieces of art ourselves? What kind of pieces? Are we supposed to write about our artwork? Are we expected to analyse others artwork?). So, if you could give a brief summary on it (and if possible answer the question examples in the parentheses)I would be grateful.

Thank you in advance.  

I can't answer all your questions, as I'm the last batch to take art within the old requirements (it's changed from exams in 2016 onwards). From what I know from my teachers and students this year, it's much more academic, i.e. you don't necessarily have to an extremely talented artist. I believe they've introduced a comparative essay and much more comparative work and what not. But regardless, you don't have to be good at art to do well in art at all, they test you much more on your thought processes and ability to express such, as opposed to your technical skills. I'm sure you're great at art in your own way, just haven't figured out which way yet! 

I have to be quite honest with you, I'm not sure exactly what there is to prepare, there aren't really any real "requirements" as per say. As for pieces, yes you make pieces yourself, I believe SL only needs to make 4-7, which has drastically changed from 8-12 for SL in 2015, and 12-18 for HL (me  :( ), and the pieces are really up to you (I believe - this may have slightly changed). For example, my most recent pieces are a charcoal self portrait piece, and an art deco inspired painting. As for writing - yes! You do write about your own work (in your journal, portfolio/rationale), and you are expected to analyse other work (which you do in your journal). 

I hope I was able to help! - I suggest just to keep on reading online some stuff : http://www.ibo.org/en/programmes/diploma-programme/curriculum/the-arts/visual-arts/ I just skimmed through and the IB website has answers for almost all your questions. :)

Edited by rianabarrow
  • Like 2