IB COURSE SELECTION PROBLEM

Ziyi You

Hey guys
I'm new to IB and I'm in Year 10 but others have said it's better to get a head start on the topics so I plan to choose these(actually our school offers a quite limit range of subjects) Just want to check if the workload will be too heavy.
HL Maths
HL English B
HL Physics
SL Chinese
SL Economics
SL Chemistry (unsure of whether Biology is a better option?)
Open to suggestions and any information will be helpful!!! big thanks!

Idk about the other classes, but I take SL chemistry and I find it to be the hardest to do well in out of all my IB subjects (you might find it easy though because everyone's different) and also, I heard HL physics and math are the hardest IB subjects overall. The concepts in chem are easy to understand, but it all comes down to how you structure your answers for written response and just know that the lab reports you do have to be so detailed. It takes lots of practice and resilience. Hmmm well what are you planning on going into for university? If it's something like engineering, keep chem. If you want to go into something like medicine, I suggest possibly taking biology as a non-IB course if you can do that because some of my friends take three sciences and they take two IB sciences and one that is just with our regular curriculum. Does your school offer IB classes only or is there a regular stream as well?

I take biology at HL and I find it to be easier than chem SL, so maybe you'll have an easier time with bio SL than chem SL if you choose to switch, but again, it all comes down to what you're good at. 

• Like 3

What you should take into account is that Paper 2 in Chemistry is purely calculations -- so I think it should fit well with your Math HL. Biology is mostly memorising, but you really should choose what you're more interested in, because workload is big with both, you might as well get something out of it. :)

Other than that, even though Math and Physics at HL are considered the hardest subjects, if you're good at them, go for it. English B is a gift from god, it's super easy if you already know English. So what you're looking at is a ton of work -- all IB students have a ton of work -- but nothing that can't be managed. Good luck!

What you should take into account is that Paper 2 in Chemistry is purely calculations -- so I think it should fit well with your Math HL. Biology is mostly memorising, but you really should choose what you're more interested in, because workload is big with both, you might as well get something out of it. :)

Other than that, even though Math and Physics at HL are considered the hardest subjects, if you're good at them, go for it. English B is a gift from god, it's super easy if you already know English. So what you're looking at is a ton of work -- all IB students have a ton of work -- but nothing that can't be managed. Good luck!

Ellie summed it up pretty well, i'd check some past papers on the subects you'll take, and see if they interest you (That's what I did). The IB is tough, especially with those subjects, but as long as you enjoy them you'll do just fine them, if you dont enjoy the subjects you take it will be a real burden. 

• Like 1

Similar to what Djsporting said, I would suggest going through the syllabus (skimming it) for the courses you're unsure about just to see what skills they ask for and what you'll be learning in the course to make sure that it actually interests you and is suitable to your strengths :)

As for choosing between SL Biology and Chemistry, I would suggest you do some reflection on whether you like the skills asked for in biology (lots of notes, reading and memorizing) or chemistry (calculations, theory, practice). Also check out WHAT you learn in both of the courses because you have to like the content to want to do well (since there is work for both of them- sometimes tedious) and obviously you want to do well. 

Also, play out your strengths or even try to match it to the rest of your schedule. Play it out so it's beneficial to you on the long run. If you want to go into something you know you won't need biology for, then don't take it. Based on your schedule, I would suggest chemistry since it ties in better with the physics and math but again, depends on what you like and what you're good at. :)

All the best for your decision!

If you are interested in the subjects you have chosen then workload should not be a problem.

I think chemistry would be a better option if you are planning to go to some science related field.

HL math mean u should be pretty good with calculations and all that so I think you should be fine with Chem SL (should be a walk in the park compared to math HL). You just need to understand concepts in Chemistry apart from calculations,

Biology, as other people have already specified, is going to need memorising lots of stuff. So unless you are good with that don't take it.

Verdict - stick with Chem (my opinion).

• 2 weeks later...

Math HL will be A LOT of work and unless you are planning on studying mathematics or engineering in university, I'd take Math SL. Especially since you're planning on doing Physics HL. Everything else seems fine, I personally chose Biology SL since it is way easier and I don't need science in the future. If you are planning on taking Chemistry, just think about all the math you will have to do during the DP. If you are going to pick Math HL AND Physics HL, another subject that has a strong link to mathematics and calculations might be a bit too much. It all depends on what you want to do in university, but if you can, at least pick Biology.