English Proficiency test?

westsider123

This question is mostly geared towards Singaporean students living in the states or in GB. For UK and US colleges, are you required to take an English proficiency test, for example, TOEFL? As far as I'm aware, Singaporeans speak English as our First Language, however, this is not recognised by universities. In addition, is there a UK-type TOEFL test that admissions would look at or is TOEFL recognised in the UK?

It largely depends on the university you apply to, so it would be the best to check on their websites.. In most cases an IB English B, A2 or A1 is enough for admission. TOEFL is also usually recognized, I would say even more often than the IB, but in case it's not stated on the uni website, you can email each university and ask. In my case none of the unis stated they accept IB English while they did.

It largely depends on the university you apply to, so it would be the best to check on their websites.. In most cases an IB English B, A2 or A1 is enough for admission. TOEFL is also usually recognized, I would say even more often than the IB, but in case it's not stated on the uni website, you can email each university and ask. In my case none of the unis stated they accept IB English while they did.

Would TOEFL be recognised in the UK? or Is there a UK-version of TOEFL that I should take instead?

Would TOEFL be recognised in the UK? or Is there a UK-version of TOEFL that I should take instead?

Sometimes UK unis have really stupid requirements regarding english - even if you get a 7 in HL English Literature, if you're not British or a U.S. citizen, you obviously cannot speak the language. Your personal statement must have willed itself into existence. 

Now, if you do get an offer from UK universities, you might be asked for some "extra" verification of your language skills. The most common one I've seen is the IELTS, which I see a ton of people sit for at their local British Councils. 

If you have the TOEFL, or its much more convenient for you to take the TOEFL, you could just email the university and ask if they'll accept it. 

Of course, the first thing you should do, if you don't have IELTS or TOEFL, and if you get asked for one of those, is to email the university and and ask them exactly why the facts that you did your IB in english, and that you are predicted a pass in your english language IB exam (not English B I suppose), aren't enough to convince them you know the english language well enough. 

• Like 1

Sometimes UK unis have really stupid requirements regarding english - even if you get a 7 in HL English Literature, if you're not British or a U.S. citizen, you obviously cannot speak the language. Your personal statement must have willed itself into existence. 

Now, if you do get an offer from UK universities, you might be asked for some "extra" verification of your language skills. The most common one I've seen is the IELTS, which I see a ton of people sit for at their local British Councils. 

If you have the TOEFL, or its much more convenient for you to take the TOEFL, you could just email the university and ask if they'll accept it. 

Of course, the first thing you should do, if you don't have IELTS or TOEFL, and if you get asked for one of those, is to email the university and and ask them exactly why the facts that you did your IB in english, and that you are predicted a pass in your english language IB exam (not English B I suppose), aren't enough to convince them you know the english language well enough. 

What about SATs or other test scores? Do UK colleges require SATs? I'm currently in an American school and from what I heard I'm not required to take the SATs to get into a UK college. I would only need it when I'm applying for a US college. My school is fairly new into the IB and my IB co-ordinator really isn't helping.

What about SATs or other test scores? Do UK colleges require SATs? I'm currently in an American school and from what I heard I'm not required to take the SATs to get into a UK college. I would only need it when I'm applying for a US college. My school is fairly new into the IB and my IB co-ordinator really isn't helping.

You don't need SATs at all for UK Universities - everybody in the UK is expected to have done an externally marked and validated qualification from age 16-18 (e.g. the IB or A Levels), so there's no need to also add in SATs, unlike in the US where it's quite possible for all your marks to remain internal which is why they have to create extra exams. They'll use your IB grades - so make sure they're good! :yes:

Some courses will ask for additional exams and interviews, but there aren't many of them. Medicine (exam, either BMAT or UKCAT, and interview everywhere), Law (exam needed for many places - LNAT) and also certain subjects at certain Universities have exams and interviews. Oxford and Cambridge in particular tend to interview everybody and have some extra tests for some subjects. So really it's kind of dependent on where you apply and what subject you're applying for as to whether you need to do anything beyond just IB.