To what extent questions & Paper 3

Ga-yon Yang

Dear All,

"To what extent was the role of the state a key factor in determining the success of the economic miracle in any one country of the region in the second half of the twentieth century."

is the question that I need to answer in my history essay in a week... it's a Paper 3 question. I am currently having a difficulty with understanding the command term "To what extent-"... what am I supposed to talk about as in reply of such questions?

Also, what do I have to do to write a 6 or a 7 Paper 3 essay?? Is it really different from Paper 2?

Detailed answers would be much appreciated... thank you so much

Gayon

In response to your first question, "to what extent" is asking "to what degree" or "how much". So for this question, how much was the role of that state a key factor?

Large extent (very much a key factor)? 

Small extent (not really a key factor)?

Some extent (sort of a key factor)?

Always answer showing how it is, AND how it isn't a key factor. However if you're saying large extent, make sure the details for why it was a key factor outweigh the reasons for why it wasn't. For some extent, you could equally support both sides.

Second question- Paper 2 and 3 are very similar. To score the highest, both require specific & accurate evidence, evaluation of that support to back up your thesis, critical commentary of details, and good organization. From what I can see, they only major difference is that paper 3 needs to have evaluation throughout the essay. So should paper 2, but on the paper 3 rubric they stress it a lot. Just make sure you have specific evidence (organization names, specific dates, statistics) and evaluation throughout. I hope this helps!

• Like 1

Hi IBSTRUGGLE, 

Thank you so much for your response!! It helped me a lot. Though, how do you make the evaluation? Also, how do you incorporate evaluation within your essay?

Thanks! 

Like IBTrojan said, you analyze. It's kind of a combination of comparing and analyzing. You examine both, but use support to show which outweighs the other, in order to support your thesis.

Example: Thesis--dogs are better pets than cats

Dogs like to play more.

--but so are cats

Dogs are loyal.

--but so are cats

You can take them out for walks.

--(cats don't usually go on walks, so with this detail you show dogs outweigh cats in which is a better pet) Dogs: 3 , Cats: 2

Edited by IBSTRUGGLE2015