UBC English Language Admission Standard

Guest systmtprntln

• 1 month later...

I applied to UBC 3 days ago. My TOEFL ibt score is 92 (it requires 90), but I have 1 point gap from speaking section and it appears to be causing a problem for my application. In the e-mail I received from the university it says: "The minimum accepted TOEFL score (internet-based test) is 22 on the Reading component, 22 on the Listening component, 21 on the Speaking component, 21 on the Writing component and a minimum overall score of 90.  Your score on one or more of these components is below the above listed minimums.  Please send us another TOEFL test that meets the requirements."

However, in the website it says that there are other ways to satisfy English proficiency: http://you.ubc.ca/admissions/elas/

According to 8th option being an IB student or attending to a high school that is a member of CIS meets the requirement which both I do. Do you think these conditions would be enough for an admission or do I still have to send another TOEFL score?

I'm really confused at this point. I don't want to take the test once more. I have already sent an e-mail to the admission office but they may reply relatively late. Please clarify me if you are knowledgeable with the specific circumstance.

Go onto the CIS website and click on the Membership Directory tab. There are search filters on the left. Put in the name of your country and check whether your school has CIS membership or not. If your school does have CIS membership, then I believe that should do the job for you.

As for the IB requirement, the 8th option says that your final IB grade must be 5 but since you are applying before the final examination scores are out, I believe this is not an option for you (unless you decide to wait another year).

I remember applying to UBC, I met the overall TOEFL requirement as well but my Reading score was lower than the required score. And so, I had to retake the test. Stupid requirement.