How much of Biology have you covered/are going to cover in year 1?

Arabgirl88

My IB Biology teacher is a new IB teacher and I feel like as if we've been going on a really slow phase. I was wondering where are all the other IB Biology HL (even SL) students are at right now and where does your teacher plan to be up to by the end of the year? 

By the end of last year (IB Year 1), for Biology HL we've done up to topic 5 only haha along with option E, and we're almost done with the syllabus this year.

My teacher is a new IB teacher too but my teacher unlike yours is going way too fast (because he practically skips all the application and skills component and just goes over some of the understanding component, so my class has to practically self study everything, how great  :(). So long as your teacher is covering every syllabus point, don't worry too much! 

We've covered cell biology, molecular biology, and nucleic acid - we're going to start topic 8 (metabolism, cell respiration and photosynthesis) next week. My teacher plans to cover topics 1,2, 4, 6,7 and an option topic by the end of the year. 

• Like 1

My IB Biology teacher is a new IB teacher and I feel like as if we've been going on a really slow phase. I was wondering where are all the other IB Biology HL (even SL) students are at right now and where does your teacher plan to be up to by the end of the year? 

By the end of last year (IB Year 1), for Biology HL we've done up to topic 5 only haha along with option E, and we're almost done with the syllabus this year.

And you guys managed to do all the parts of the syllabus, like app and skills? That's a much faster phase then our class! 

My teacher is a new IB teacher too but my teacher unlike yours is going way too fast (because he practically skips all the application and skills component and just goes over some of the understanding component, so my class has to practically self study everything, how great  :(). So long as your teacher is covering every syllabus point, don't worry too much! 

We've covered cell biology, molecular biology, and nucleic acid - we're going to start topic 8 (metabolism, cell respiration and photosynthesis) next week. My teacher plans to cover topics 1,2, 4, 6,7 and an option topic by the end of the year. 

That's the problem! We are going really slow and aren't even covering anything other then understanding and a few application and skills! We're also the new syllabus so apparently our teachers are supposed to go over the nature of science too and we haven't even been doing that! Our teacher plans to cover 1,2,3,7,8 and an option but so far we've only done 1 and 2 and I hardly doubt we'll get far the second semester 

My class and I, reached DNA translation/replication.. Only, since the beginning of the year... I don't know if this is meant to be so, but I feel like we're behind.

The Bio SL class in my school is almost in the same topic as you guys I would believe. I dont think your behind that much but it really depends on your teacher's plan for the rest of the year. 

If that's the case, print yourself a copy of the syllabus and make sure that whenever you've finished a topic in class to check that you've covered every syllabus point - if your teacher hasn't, use your textbook and add the points he's left out to your notes. Just don't rely heavily on the teacher and if you ever feel like your teacher is misguiding you with regards to IAs or lab reports, consult another IB biology teacher in your school that has taught IB biology before. 

I'm SL and I've finished, I've just been doing revision now.

Are your exams for biology SL in May? I thought in Australia they were in Novemeber...

And, this year we covered chapters 2,3,5,6 and 8

I go to an international school that is comprised of mostly Americans and Europeans so we go on the northern hemisphere schedule.