UCAS Entry Requirements

Felitacarolyn

Hi guys, would appreciate your help and input

i was browsing through the entry requirements for accounting and finance through UCAS, and I found out that I have fulfilled what UManchester, UEdinburgh, and a few others want in terms of total IB points. Most of them want a 34 or a 35, and I have a 36 which is not that great but still over the requirement. 

But the problem is my HL points. UManchester wants a 6,6,5 in HL subjects, but I have a 6,6,4. (4 in HL maths paper 3 screwed me over). My other HL is B&M and chem, and I also have a B in B&M EE. 

Similarly for UNottingham they want 18 HL points and I only have 16 ;\

Does this mean that I can't apply for these unis? I'm super confused and sad and miserable and ugh :(

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Felitacarolyn

Hi guys, would appreciate your help and input

i was browsing through the entry requirements for accounting and finance through UCAS, and I found out that I have fulfilled what UManchester, UEdinburgh, and a few others want in terms of total IB points. Most of them want a 34 or a 35, and I have a 36 which is not that great but still over the requirement. 

But the problem is my HL points. UManchester wants a 6,6,5 in HL subjects, but I have a 6,6,4. (4 in HL maths paper 3 screwed me over). My other HL is B&M and chem, and I also have a B in B&M EE. 

Similarly for UNottingham they want 18 HL points and I only have 16 ;\

Does this mean that I can't apply for these unis? I'm super confused and sad and miserable and ugh :(

Thanks in advance!

Don't worry! You could apply for these universities. They will definitely consider you. Just make sure you have a strong personal statement! It can make a difference - trust me. However, it wouldn't be advisable to apply for universities that require all 34 or 35 plus points. Choose at least 1 or 2 universities as a kind of "secure" chance around the 28-32 points perhaps. Good luck!!

• Like 1

The main thing to bear in mind is that if there are more applicants than there are places, people who've failed to even meet the minimum criteria are the most obvious applicants to reject at an early stage. If you've got 10 places with 20 applicants but 5 of those applicants haven't even met what you set out as the bare minimum, you can get rid of those 5 and then you only have to read the personal statements of 15 people rather than 20, in order to get rid of the last 5 and end up with your 10.

It would obviously be a lot more sensible to apply to Universities where you have met the requirements. However if you really want to go for those two, you can indeed take the risk as people have said above. The fact you got over the total IB points they're asking for (even if only slightly) might stand in your favour a little bit but also might mean absolutely nothing. If I were you I would *also* apply to some back-ups where you do meet what they've asked for, though! Otherwise you might end up with all rejections and no plan for the coming year.

• 3 months later...

Thought I would chip in (even though its probably too late anyway).

I got 7, 6, 3 for my HLs and applied to universities all with either 6, 6, 6 or 7, 6, 6 or 6, 6, 5. I have gotten 2 unconditional offer and one conditional (including manchester - unconditional).

I would say definitely don't be so hang up on those. I applied to a course which required additional means of assessment (portfolio, short essays), so if your course choices are similar definitely give it a shot. 

If the only thing universities will see though are your grades and a glance at personal statement, i would be more careful.