written assignment -focusing on ONE literary device or can I focus on more?

beatriz

hey there!

I am choosing my topic for the written assignment of Part 1 - Literature in Translation.

I want to know if I have to choose one literary device (i.e. narrative voice) and explain all the purposes, implications and effects

or

I can chose a theme from the novel and explore different techniques used (i.e. the theme of machismo, exploring the techniques of characterisation and symbol)

My idea would be exploring ONE theme (machismo) and the way it is conveyed through ONE LITERARY DEVICE (characterisation). Could that be a valid possibility?

Thank you very much :)

Well your idea is pretty good. But "characterization" is extremely broad. I mean, every book does that inevitably. You need to explore an aspect in detail, so you could, for instance, explore a single character and the symbolism it conveys to enforce the selected theme. You could also look at the function of the character inside of the novel/play/story and how certain symbolic actions give it a role in the play's plot to push a theme through.

• Like 1

Picking a theme is usually a better idea, I'd say. It narrows it down a bit more than a literary feature, which can usually be found throughout a whole novel. Characterisation in particular is a very broad choice, as said above! To be honest it's not really a 'feature', it's more of a process, I always find it weird when people put it down as a literary feature. It's like saying "plot" is a literary feature(!). Having a plot and characters is kind of fundamental to everything, not a discrete feature.

• Like 1