Confusing list of similar-sounding biology/chemistry majors

NiCKEL

I'm currently in the first year of IB and I'm looking at what majors interest me, and I see a lot of majors that have such similar names, I have no idea what to choose-these all sound interesintg:

Biochemistry 
Biological chemistry
Chemistry
Microbiology
Molecular biology

What is the difference between all these, and which one(s) offer versatility for these things that I want to hopefully be able to accomplish (this is a list of things I think i may do)

-Get a Masters in one of those areas
-Get a Masters in pharmaceutical chemistry/pharmacology/toxicology
-Get a MD
-Be a forensic scientist who works with DNA
-Be a forensic scientist who works with chemistry 
-Work in food manufacturing (in a high-paying position)
-Work for a company, working with chemistry

And if there are any really interesting careers that you think I might like, please share!

EDIT: Medical school isn't the prime focus so although I understand they don't care what undergrad you do, I'd like to know about these majors so I can choose one that I might take to a Masters level so I can work with it IF i DONT go to medical school (since the chances of that are pretty high)

Edited by Mark 59

All I know is that medical schools don't really care about your major so if that's what you want to pursue, take the major that interests you the most so you get the highest possible GPA you can (an important factor for med school admission). Don't know much about the rest of the things you've mentioned, sorry! :) 

1. Biochemistry is the study of the chemical principles of biological systems. Essentially, it's chemistry, but with a focus on biological systems and organic molecules.

2. Biological chemistry is also chemistry, but with the purpose to understand biology and biological systems.

3. Chemistry is the study of the composition of matter.

4. Microbiology is the study of microorganisms and the biological processes that surround them

5. Molecular biology is the study of biology, but on the molecular level. You'll be primarily concerned with cells and molecules and how they work. It would be similar to biochemistry.

Most programs will combine chemistry and biochemistry in one department, with the others being in another department within biology. Biochemistry and chemistry are going to require the most math and physics, with the others requiring a lot less, because they're hard physical sciences that require lots of math and physics to understand them.

You can go to medical school with any of those degrees. You can do food science with any of those, with microbiology probably the best of those. If you work for a company just wanting to do chemistry, it will probably just be routine lab work. Any of those options, aside from being a MD, will require at least a master's degree, if not a doctorate, and probably won't be that high-paying, at least not right away. But you should be able to get into any of those fields with any of those degrees.

Let me know if you have any other questions, because I know people studying almost all of that list and am a former chemistry major so I know a lot about what sorts of things you'd study and possible things you could do.

Any of those options, aside from being a MD, will require at least a master's degree, if not a doctorate, and probably won't be that high-paying, at least not right away. But you should be able to get into any of those fields with any of those degrees.

Let me know if you have any other questions, because I know people studying almost all of that list and am a former chemistry major so I know a lot about what sorts of things you'd study and possible things you could do.

I have a few questions ^.^

1) How much is "not high" salary? In Canada I belive the average income is $43,000, and if I could, I would be happy starting off around there (hopefully higher so my parents don't freak :P) and work my way to like a 80,000? Is that possible? I tried searching but it's hard to find the exact job so Idk if the salary estimate is right.

2) What are some other options for a person with a Masters in Biochemistry, Chemistry, or Molecular Biology? These are the three I think I might be choosing from. I love chemistry but I also love DNA and cell action and that stuff

3) What is studying part-time like? Is it possible to do a MD while working or while doing an internship (i think that's what it's called) or otherwise somehow gaining lab experience?

4) In a perfect world, I would have a normal job as a forensic scientist or a quality tester, while working part time as a Reservist in the Canadian Forces (they only require like 4 days and 1 weekend of work per month as part time). Are those jobs compatible? I know forensic scientists have to be ready at all times and have very hectic schedules....

And how would this work in terms of education? Could I study something part time while working? I want/dream to be a medical officer in the CF so that requires a MD so I can't do that while studying...    I want too much :(

The plan is that I get a ok income from the day-to-day job, and I get a relatively hefty boost from being a reserve med office (they get 85% normal pay, which is really high).   Maybe in the future i'll have my eyes set on just one, but right now I can't even think about having to choose between lab-style work to doctor-and-money-type of work

..wow reading over that I sound like such a little kid...

Edited by Mark 59

I'm going to base a lot of this off of US economic and market trends so you'll have to figure out how it's like in Canada

1. Well that's going to be relative, I know people who'd be extremely happy with $40,000 a year and others who aren't happy if they're making at least $65,000 a year. A starting salary for a lot of those careers is not $43,000, usually lower, but typically your pay will increase over time. Salaries will usually increase if you obtain a master's degree or PhD, but it's typically hard to find a decent job because there is a LOT of competition for the jobs out there.

2. I know of a few people with advanced degrees in various chemistry sub-fields and they're editors for new chemical literature. There's also chemical sales. Nothing else I can really think of off the top of my head that is similar to what you listed in your first post.

3. You will not have time to go to medical school and have a part-time job or internship. These are things you do beforehand to get into medical school, not while you're there.

4. I do not know if they are compatible because I'm not familiar with how the reserves (especially Canada's) work. I assume the best way to be a doctor in the reserves is to go to medical school, complete it, and then join the reserves. You can probably do some side-work during your undergraduate years, but when you go to graduate school you probably won't have the time for that, and you definitely won't have the time for it if you go to medical school.

I'm going to base a lot of this off of US economic and market trends so you'll have to figure out how it's like in Canada

1. Well that's going to be relative, I know people who'd be extremely happy with $40,000 a year and others who aren't happy if they're making at least $65,000 a year. A starting salary for a lot of those careers is not $43,000, usually lower, but typically your pay will increase over time. Salaries will usually increase if you obtain a master's degree or PhD, but it's typically hard to find a decent job because there is a LOT of competition for the jobs out there.

2. I know of a few people with advanced degrees in various chemistry sub-fields and they're editors for new chemical literature. There's also chemical sales. Nothing else I can really think of off the top of my head that is similar to what you listed in your first post.

Thanks! I just have a few follow-ups :P

a) I think your answer to #1 was assuming a bachelors (since you said "...increase if you obtain a master's"). I was refering to the starting salary of a person already with a masters. Do you have any estimates for this?

b) Would having an MD and a MS be stupid/waste of time because I heard if you like have a PhD but apply for something that only need's a BSc or MS you are "overqualified" and they don't want you?

Salaries are going to vary based on industry, years of experience, and location. Unfortunately I don't have information for this.

Having an MD and MS is probably a waste of time. There is an option of doing an MD-PhD program, but this is more for people who want to do mostly medical research with some standard doctor responsibilities.