Course Selection Help?!

A_Happy_Monkey

Hi, my pre- IB course selection is due very soon and I require some assistance. Do you think I can take Math HL without taking Business Management or any Chinese acquisition courses? I just want to take:

Math HL

Biology HL

Chemistry HL

World History HL

English Literature SL

French B SL

Also, do you think this combination is too stressful for a pre- IB student?

I think that should be fine because you already have a group 3 subject so you don't need business management (same for Chinese acquisition with French), but are you thinking of going into a certain uni program that might need it?

And maybe see how it goes? 4 HL's does seem stressful, but give it a shot. If it gets too overwhelming you can probably drop one of your HL's to SL. Pre-IB isn't technically IB though. You don't actually start until 11th grade and how you do in pIB has no impact on how you'll do once you hit the DP. 

Hope I helped a bit.. sorry I couldn't help as much because I only take 3 HL's, so I wouldn't know much about the workload with 4 HL's. 

• 4 weeks later...

Well based on the HLs you've taken, I won't lie, you're in for a roller coaster two years. But if you can work well under pressure and manage your time well enough (little to no procrastinating), you should be able to manage. I mean, it's been done before so it's not impossible. 

I have the same subjects (just different SLs and HLs) and I can say that having biology, chemistry, math and history together is definitely challenging but doing well is not impossible. Just make sure that you will ask questions whenever you need to and read the syllabus and do all of the homework.

Stress will come along the way. No matter what you take, at one point you may think, "Why on EARTH did I do this to myself?" but you get through it.

Everyone does :) Again, delegate your daily homework, assignments, presentations, activities...etc. ahead of time so you don't panic and drown in work, stay on top of your lessons, and give yourself little breaks every now and then to keep your sanity in check :P and you'll be fine 

All the best for your two years